Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying quality pork question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying quality pork question.

I bought a half, bone removed, butt at Auldi grocery. Found 3 tablespoons juice in sealed package when I opened. Smoked at 300 on my Pit Barrel Cooker. Much moisture dropped on the coals and after 4 hours the fat side down on the grill was wet and gunky. Cambroed for 2 1/2 hours. Meat tasted OK but was not as tender as past efforts, and a little dry. What's going on here? Had the butt been frozen then thawed before sale? Why so much moisture coming out of the meat? What do you think? Thanks. Jim Burgin

While it is normal to have moisture in the bag, its tough to tell if it had been frozen previously. 3 tablespoons of juice is not an amount to cause alarm, I would say that is comparable to what i find in the shoulders I buy from Cosco. Sometimes it can be as simple as the animal you bought was not as good as some of the others. They are all a bit different.

However, when I hang my butts in the PBC. The broadest part of the butt is vertical, facing the inside of the cooker. I find that the juices baste the meat better like this. It also limits the dripping to one area as opposed to being spread out across the basket like it would if you hang it fat cap down.

Comment

Purge is natural since there is some freezing during shipping.

HOWEVER, you should NEVER have juices in the packaging of a FROZEN product , that tells you it was thawed at some point and refrozen.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here