Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with trimming spare ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    Here's one I like. There are lots of them that are basically them same, some more detailed than others.
    In this vid you can see that after he trims it he's cutting all of 1/3 off the rack, in the thickest area close to half. If you don't you end up with the curved cartilage pieces intact on your main rack. This is what you're running into.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Looking forward to the pics OP. I'm not quite following. In the meantime this is a pretty good trimming vid:

Leave a comment:

• omnipotence20
    started a topic Help with trimming spare ribs

Help with trimming spare ribs

First off, I will get some pictures of what I'm talking about up here as soon as I can.

I'm running into some issues when I go to trim ribs. I've come across this issue when cutting down full spares as well as during prep of a st louis rack of ribs. I can go in and cut off the rib tips and get it all squared up, but it still feels like I have the main piece of bone and then like it was broken and then a second bone is in there too at the end. I can trim it off, but I'll have bone exposed at both ends of the rib which I don't think is right either. I end up trimming so much meat off that it's almost half of what i started with. I always end up with the main bone and then another, smaller extension at the end. It's rather weird.

I have gone to multiple locations for my meat to make sure that i just didn't get a badly butchered piece of meat and after sams, my local grocery store and 3 different butcher, I think it just comes down to user error. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here