Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork and a riff on the Texas Crutch Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork and a riff on the Texas Crutch Hack

The Texas Crutch Hack presented by CaptainMike here https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ack#post224102 inspired me to try my own take on it for this cook.

The pork butt was a nice 8 1/2 pound piece my wife picked up for me. Pretty normal dry-brine overnight, rub while the smoker was coming up to temp, then in the smoke at 3AM (anticipating a 12 hour cook). The big difference was since the pork loin I did recently turned out so well with an injection of apple juice, vinegar and cinnamon I did the same for this. Not heavy, just enough to hopefully be detected but not more than that. I never need to inject a butt for tenderness/moistness.

The other difference was that I got some pecan splits at the wood store this time.

I boated the beast when it was coming out of the stall at not quite 175F IT. Put on the usual mix of butter, molasses, and a touch of butter pecan syrup. Also added a little more apple juice, too, this time, but not much, maybe a half cup or less.

When I finally pulled it from the smoker I drained off a small amount of the drippings in the boat, put that into a flying pan, and fried up a cup of cooked Minute Rice as an experiment. (I scambled an egg in with the rice, too.) Apparently that was a hit because there was none left, and I fixed what should have been 4 servings and only 3 managed to get some. (Hey, it was an experiment, remember?)

The pork was held in the oven until just a little while ago so we will have sammies and pickings while we watch Dallas kick some Chicago butt.

Pictures are the packaging, brined, rubbed, 4 hours in the smoke, pulled from the smoker after boating, final product, and the fried rice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_170018.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	224656

Name:	20160924_170520.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	224657

Name:	20160925_025906.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	224658

Name:	20160925_062841.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	224659

Name:	20160925_134405.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	224660

Name:	20160925_142126.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	224662
    Attached Files

Looks great. Maybe I will crutch one to capture some drippings, but I do love the crust.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      You can always boat until it hits about 190F then finish it naked to firm the bark up. I've done that before, and usually do that with ribs so I can use the drippings for a glaze.

Looks great

Comment

Looks yummy-licious from here!!!

Nice job!!!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          You got it! boftx

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Stick-burners are for insomniac's that like to fiddle with stuff, late at night/early morning.😎

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead I'm a software engineer, of course I'm a stick-burner.

Damn nice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here