Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt try #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done MANY of these on the 22 Weber Kettle. I've never flipped. Today is my first butt on my GMG Daniel Boone. Full write up with pics after I has me a pulled pork sammich, or two.

Comment

AZRedneck and Akabiz .... just remember, once that butt is over 190 you need to start doing a fork twist or bone wiggle to test for done. I have found that my pork butts will have different temps in different locations, but that I rarely get to 200+ when it is actually done. Once you hit 190'ish on your meat probe, start checking the bone wiggle and fork twist to see if you are done.

Comment

• Akabiz
        Akabiz commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not tie mine so hopefully I will be ok. We are starting to slowly, very slowly starting to creep up in temp.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Akabiz not tying won't hurt the outcome of the cook. Just makes it easier to handle/manage the pork butt and avoid the thing coming apart

• Akabiz
        Akabiz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have it on a rack so I should be good.

Hog tying that sucker Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_151758.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	224125 saved me. If it weren't for my grandkids kite string, we'd be eating it off the grill. Be careful when you pull it. Using a couple big spatulas ain't cheatin!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delicious!

• Akabiz
        Akabiz commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks great. I hope mine comes out as good!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        A great looking butt for sure.

fuzzydaddy the bark that sticks to the grate is the best part!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        100% agree! My fingers repair themselves just fine!

Here is where I am at so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	224162

Comment

• AZRedneck
        AZRedneck commented
        Editing a comment
        You're right on track! I just poked mine with the instant read thermometer after 1 hour rest and it loosened up a lot. Cuz I had it in a 170 degree oven it's still 185. Sitting on the counter in foil now. I'll let it drop to 170 or so then chow time.

Gorgeous stuff, can almost taste it from here!

Firebase Bonedaddy, FWD does gratefully accept any / all food donations!

Cain't wait to see the finished butt; please keep us posted!

Comment

I am at the home stretch. My butt has been on the smoker for almost almost 15 hours (no crutch). I am at a IT of 185 and I can wait to tear into this thing. I need to lear paitients.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Akabiz I think it's a couple of hours after your last post. How did it turn out? My cook was 14 1/2 hrs. Had to crutch cause I had a time frame. I'm adding to my post (a packer and a big ol butt)
          Congrats on a perfect cook. I hope.

• Akabiz
          Akabiz commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a few more degrees. Still no crutch. Trying to go o natural. I will post picks of the final product when done.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm pulling for you man. Can't wait to see the pics. But after you indulge first.

That looks yummy!

I have an 8.5 pounder that I will be starting at about 3AM local time (about 7 hours from now). I figure about 12 - 14 hours total cook time. I'll probably be running the rig at about 250F plus or minus 25 since for this one I'm burning splits (pecan).

I don't worry about tying them since I boat them up when they come out of the stall to capture everything that is rendered out.

Comment

• Akabiz
          Akabiz commented
          Editing a comment
          I am burning cherry split myself. Still learning my pit and timing. Definitely need to start earlier but I am only feeding myself so I can just have another jack and coke and wait.

I ALWAYS start pork butts and briskets exactly 18 hours before I'm going to serve them.

I ALWAYS smoke meat at 225°.

I NEVER use the Texas crutch.

I NEVER power through the stall.

I ALWAYS plan that there MIGHT be a double stall.

I ALWAYS plan on my meat to get AT LEAST 2 hours in the cambro.

I NEVER put my meat on the table late... EVER!

I ALWAYS plan for a NO PRESSURE cook.😎

It's ALL pretty simple really...🤔
        Last edited by Breadhead; September 24, 2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP ... be aware I do that in a Kamado. It holds the moisture of the meat in, so you don't need a crutch, which gives you better bark. You never need to open the dome to check temps during the cook. If... you always smoke at 225° you know when your food will be done.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I know your a Kamado cooker, I just meant to confess a desire to be so well planed. Me and time run in different directions sometimes.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah... I'm kind of anal that way.😎 I go completely through the cook in my mind before I even light the lump coal.🙄

Here was the final product. Came out pretty good but I know I can do better. That's the joy of this, even if it doesn't come out perfect I still have plenty of people that want to be taste testers.

Click image for larger version

Views:	98
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	224605 Click image for larger version

Views:	92
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	224606

Comment

• Akabiz
          Akabiz commented
          Editing a comment
          Just seasoning, timing etc. I want to experiment to see what I think is best.

• AZRedneck
          AZRedneck commented
          Editing a comment
          I like to lightly sprinkle some rub on the pulled meat then mix it a bit to incorporate. The boss likes it so that's good enough for me.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks beautiful. How long was your cook and did you crutch it? Great job

Very nice.

Comment

Lesson learned: some rub on finished product.

Hmmmmm....

>Strokes goatee.....<

>/strokes< :-)

You have given me much to consider...

Only about ten gazillion ways I could use this to tweak my game.

Many thanks, once again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here