Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    Me three on this!

• Nuke em
    replied
    Like meathead says, kosher and don't wrap in fridge. Read his article on salt. If you have to, weigh the two different types and you'll see the different amounts. That'll give ya some ref points later down the road

Leave a comment:

• jbeck1986
    replied
    Try it dry brining one more time. Follow the recipe and and use kosher salt and don't eye ball it. Measure it out per the recommendations. Grab pinches of it and sprinkle it from a good distance (I think meathead says like 8" or higher) and make sure it's evenly sprinkled and more where it's thick and less where it's thin. Give your pork butt 48 hours to dry brine and it won't taste salty.

Think about the hundreds and thousands of people that do this with positive results. There's a reason behind the salt. It retains more moisture and amplifies flavor. Give it another shot. Use slightly less than what the recipe calls for if you wanna play it safe but don't give up on it till you try it per recipe.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Ditto on the kosher salt. It's the only salt l've used over the years. Recently l have tried a little sea salt, but never table salt. I don't wrap anything, even a butt, use a little olive oil before the rub though. It's been a long while since l have looked at it, but did'nt Meathead discuss this with Doc Bonder?
    l gave up on anything other than dry brining after joining AR, & seeing Michael Symon only use the method on turkey.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    abandonedbrain - I leave chicken and steaks unwrapped so the surface will dry for better maillard reaction. But with a big hunk of meat that's going to smoke for hours, I wrap because I want a wet surface to help the rub stick, and I'm not worried about getting enough bark over the long cook. Wrapping also means I don't have to be quite a careful when placing the meat in the refrigerator.

Leave a comment:

• abandonedbrain
    replied
    So the OP mentioned one thing I hadn't thought about... the meat was "wrapped...tight in cellophane" after being salted. I've always left meat in the fridge in a glass baking dish, and I just cover the meat with cellophane. There's still air around it. What's the consensus on tight-vs-loose wrapping, and would this have affected the dry-brine for the OP?

Leave a comment:

• AZRedneck
    replied
    The table salt VS kosher salt has already been discussed. I bought a box of Morton's kosher salt, and now dry brine almost everything at the recommended rate of 1/2 tsp/pound and the results are great. No rinsing, no salty flavor. Don't give up yet, try a carefully measured dose of kosher on your next cook, I think the results will be pleasing. As mentioned, it looks like it's not enough, and I think that's part of the point of the whole idea. It absorbs into the meat, retains moisture, without that salty taste. Further, if you dry brine, be sure to use a salt free rub! (I made that mistake once, it was a bit salty, but edible)

Leave a comment:

• Porterdriver
    commented on 's reply
    x2 on that. My experience, albeit limited, says that if you don't measure out the salt first then you will most likely over salt the meat. When you measure it out, I can almost promise that it will not look like enough to do the job but it does.

• abandonedbrain
    replied
    I think the more worrisome thing to point out here is that table salt, at least the salt MOST people have at the table, has iodine added to it. This is fine for the human body in small doses (salting your cob of corn), but that much salt on the meat may be a pretty large hit of iodine. Plus, that may be kicking up the "salt taste" in your meat.

This is one of the main reasons cooks worldwide use kosher salt without iodine when cooking. That, and it dissolves more slowly than table salt, and doesn't have any anti-caking agents. A good read is at: http://startcooking.com/what-is-kosh...y-all-the-hype

You can buy table salt without iodine, but most don't bother. That small amount of iodine is very beneficial for the body. Just not for dry-brining. Try it one more time, and use kosher salt (try to find Morton's branded). I swear, I'm a complete convert, and I only just found out how to do this a few months ago. Every batch of ribs, or steaks, or even the pork butt I just smoked this weekend, has been dry-brined since I found out about the process. Every one of these was the best I'd ever made, and close to the best I've ever eaten.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    I'm right with you guys. I do it mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to mess with the meat more than once.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    This is what I do as well DW. Mostly because I am using commercial rubs. But even when I do MMD or BBBR I still add the salt and rub at the same time.

• DWCowles
    replied
    With the pork butts I always mix the salt in with the rub and applied to the pork butt/s the night before the cook. Never had any problem with it being to salty. FWIW, I only used kosher salt not table salt.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    When you brine again, you shouldn't need to rinse the butt. Just apply the rub before the cook and your good to go. I agree with what others are saying. Table salt, and the difference in volume from kosher is the culprit. It should not ever be that salty.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Table salt has smaller granules. Hence Meathead's recommendation to use 1/4 tsp table salt per pound trimmed meat if not using kosher salt.

• DeusDingo
    replied
    if you have salt to wash off after dry brining you put WAY too much salt on that thing

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here