Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching the next generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching the next generation

I had my 17yr old daughter do this cook with minimal supervision. About all I did was see if she was checking the pit temp at the right times and make the sauce since she was busy with the fries and biscuits (from scratch). I made certain she saw what I put into the sauce.

We bought the ribs literally just before starting the coals so there was no chance to dry-brine. She pulled the membrane and put the rub on, and then monitored the pit temp from there. I had her do a classic 3-2-1 for this. When it was time to wrap she added squeeze butter, molasses, and a touch of butter pecan syrup.

The sauce was made from the juice in the wrap, with a bit more molasses and syrup, along with some vinegar, sage, chili powder and worcestershire sauce. The sauce was used as a glaze on the ribs and as a dipping sauce for the fries.

She made the biscuits from scratch, well, Bisquick, close enough.

Here is the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_182230.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	222272 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_183954.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	222273

That looks great. And good for you both. These will be cherished memories. I've tried to get my daughter involved but she's only interested in the eating.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, at least someone likes your cooking.

That is a heck of lesson... well done... now you just need to get her a AR Pitmaster membership for her 18th birthday and she will be well on her way.

Comment

Looks like she got all the help she needs without our help. Also it looks like she follows directions from her father/teacher
      Last edited by DWCowles; September 18, 2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        If I can teach her to tame a COS she can cook on anything.

Congrats on having a daughter that wants to cook at all these days, and it looks like you taught her well ~ Ron

Comment

Good cook ... Great daughter. Congrats, man!

Comment

Very impressed. Did she share well?

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, the dogs didn't give her a choice.

Great job Pops... There aren't many 17 year old humans that can pull that cook off in that type of cooker. You're preparing her for an enjoyable life. She will be able to bring friends and family together by creating great settings around her BBQ skills. When she meets a HWMO she must let him know... Keep away from my smokers and grills.😡

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            This was the first time she has done ribs. I've had her monitor the fire a number of times for pork butts and she knows what probe tender means. If she goes hungry in the future it won't be my fault.

That is really special and a very tasty meal. Well done! My son is in his 30s and slowly warming up to the idea of learning more. I recently bought him the new magnet and I think he's getting curious. Maybe one day soon we'll cook together.

Comment

That looks wonderful! I'm glad your daughter is interested in learning the ways of the grill.

Comment

That's awesome. Not just the cook, which looks great, but the quality time you guys get to spend together. This day and age not a lot of families have that. Congrats.

Comment

Looks awesome! Well done to the both of you!

Comment

They look great. The memories made here will last a lifetime.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here