Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is pork Tri-tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is pork Tri-tip?

I was at Costco today (despite my general ban on shopping there on the weekends) and picked up a prime packer brisket ($2.79/lb. yay me). Next to them in the case they had something in plastic packaging called "Tri-tip pork roast." I've never heard of this. I assume it's the same cut as a beef Tri-tip but it didn't look like it. Had more of a round shape. But it could have been folded. I was curious if anyone else has ever seen or heard of this.

I just googles it and there were lots of hits - including recipes...

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not one of those people who refuse to google. I just trust the people here first.

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, because random results from Google are worth FAR MORE than the council of experts here on The Pit. How many of these are going to recommend soaking wood chips, or searing to keep the juices in? Yeah, that.

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. That sums it up.

Obi-Dan Lost in China

With all the helpful replies here answering the question the O-D asked, looking on the internet would be totally useless. I see that clearly now and withdraw my totally unhelpful reply that googling might help figuring out what the cut actually is...

I also agree that I trust the people here more than some random poster online, and know that misinformation here will be corrected, but googling will give an immediate answer that should be corrected/confirmed here over time.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny things was, when The Pit let me down and my question faded into obscurity I did Google it and my first three hits were people asking what it was. I refuse to accept your withdrawal of answer.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Obi-Dan - you made me chuckle...

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Always glad when I make other smile, laugh, or chuckle.

Could it be wishful thinking on the part of BBQ-ers all over the world?

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      A few sites have suggested it's new marketing if pork roast.

When I saw Obi-Dan's post about Pork Tri-Tip, the first thing through my mind was that if an 800 pound cow produces a pair of ~2.5 Lb tri-tips, then an 80 pound pig is going to produce about a pair of 4 Oz tri-tips.

Not enough to fire up the grill

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

So from what I've read here, the question remains. What *IS* pork tri tip? Now I'm curious myself.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        From what I can tell from reading people's on-line comments it's the end of the sirloin and they're not that flavorful.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here