Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammy pork butt, too late this time but hopefully I can prevent in the future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammy pork butt, too late this time but hopefully I can prevent in the future.

This Sunday I was having about a dozen people over for lunch, pulled pork was requested and prepared as usual. About 30 minutes before be were going to arrive and eat I took out the resting pork and set it out to cool so I could pull it. Just as I started pulling we got a call and yada yada everyone was going to show up and eat for dinner 6 hours later.
    This hadn't ever happened before so I made an executive decision to put in a pan, cover with a little liquid and put it in the oven, unpulled at 185. I chose 185 because I didn't want it cooking much more and wanted to keep it in a safe zone. When I took the foil off the top about 30 minutes prior and the bark dried out nicely. Texture and tenderness was right on but dang was it hammy. Not only was their an overwhelming flavor of ham, but the smoke and rub were basically non-existent outside of the slight rub flavor in the bark.
    The meat toward the center seemed just fine, but the area just inside the bark was no good, tasted just like eating ham. Now, I mentioned that I had pulled some before the phone call, I actually made a sandwich out of this and it was wonderful. I have read several things about hamminess but nothing conclusive, and where the heck did the smoke go? I guess it really doesn't penetrate much at all.

So to the questions, got any tips for hammy butt? How would you have handled the 6 hour delay? In hindsight I would have just served it cold.

John, when i did two butts for a birthday party at the campground they cooked all night and wrapped in foil at the stall. And in the morning at 10:00 am placed them in a cooler that was just large enough for them to both fit for dinner at 2:00. When I Pulled at 2:00 it was still almost to hot to handle.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

You must have brined or dry brined it before hand. I keep my meat in a cooler and never had problems with longer than expected rest time the meat is still burn your hands hot.

Comment

John, confirm for us which cooker you used (PBC?) and how you approached salting the ham... erm... I mean pork butt

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. lol

Anything else you did for prep is worth noting as well... Memphis Dust, oil or mustard... that kind of thing...

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far, except you David

PBC and 1/2 a tsp a pound as always, Memphis Dust and oil. I've got my process down pretty good and have done my last 20 or so basically the exact same way and never a problem.

Maybe my description as hammy is confusing but I don't know of a better description, it didn't taste like salt cured ham or anything, there was no salt taste whatsoever. If it makes sense, it was like I left it in the fridge with a couple hams and it absorbed that ham flavor.

I normally wrap and rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours which I did this time as well, but I thought wrapping it back up and putting back in the cooler for a total of about 7 hours would be way too much, hence the oven.

So, there were literally no changes other than the oven. In fact this is a shoulder out of a 2 pack, I ate the other one earlier in the week, so essentially identical meat as well.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Thanks for the responses so far, except you David
            I suppose I deserved that

What is the liquid you added to the meat before you put it in the oven?

Comment

It was pretty moist so I added about 1/8 of a cup of water, was an 8 pound butt btw

Comment

Were the butts "enhanced" with salt solution ? Yea a small cooler will hold em for ya

Comment

Put them in a faux cambro (cooler) next time. If the cooler is too large simply add more towels to take up the additional space. I use a 54 quart cooler and with two butts I always use 3 or 4 large towels to insulate the Q.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here