Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooked to order, I hope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked to order, I hope.

I asked the family what they wanted smoked this weekend, and they said pork loin. I was hoping for something different, but owell. I looked at Meathead's recipe for Smoked Stuffed Pork Loin Roast http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...oin_roast.html but they didn't seem thrilled. I'm sure it's delicious, but the whole adventure in food thing is kinda new around here. The request from the higher powers is a smoked whole loin that can be sliced up when done.

In the past, I have sliced the thing up raw and cooked them on a gasser, never smoked one so...

My thoughts are to dry brine it a couple of hours, then rub it, smoke it at 325 or so until about 135ish, wipe some yummy goo (sauce) on it, pull it off at around 140 and let it rest up to 145 or so with carry over. What do you guys think?

Keeping it simple works. Dry-brine (overnight if you can) then rub and in the smoke for 2 - 3 hours at 225 til it hits 145 is my rule. (My wife thinks 145 after resting up is too low.)

But you want to do a bit more, here is a cook i did a couple of weeks ago: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...chops-realized

Pork loin offers a lot of opportunity to try new things and is very forgiving.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I cover/wrap in foil, so that is not air tight, and have never noticed a problem. Mainly to keep odor contamination down. I almost never inject, ether, not needed to keep it moist. This was an experiment with contrasting flavors between the apple and pineapple.

• AZRedneck
      AZRedneck commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks. I hadn't considered injecting either until I saw your post but the idea sounds good. I use apple juice for misting early on to help the smoke stick so a little infusion might be good.

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to add the cinnamon to the injection, but apple juice and a touch of vinegar worked well for me. For just a simple loin I would consider adding pineapple juice to it as well. I want to try a pork butt with that mix, even though they never need it for moisture, just for flavor.

Pork Loins are also good wrapped in bacon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3908.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	219354

Name:	IMG_3947.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	219355

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	219356

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      How did you get your bacon so crispy, fuzzydaddy ? It looks well-rendered, except perhaps for the parts under the criss-crosses.

Kathryn

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc this cook was on my BGE running about 330 for 1 hour and 40 minutes. I used very thin bacon.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional info, fuzzydaddy . That sure was a beaut of a cook.

K.

EVERYTHING is good wrapped in bacon!!! Check out last week's cook...https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...oone-cook-data

On the temp differences I was having, I did something no self respecting MAN ever does and I read the GMGDB manual long enough to find out that left to right temp diffferences can be adjusted with the heat shield... doing temp tests as we speak!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are beautiful. Great on the adjusting (darn manuals)!

Definintly don't let the meat temperature get too high, pork loin is lean and gets dry/not perfect in a hurry, bacon wrapped is always good and helps but if the bacon is not done to your liking still you don't want internal temp. Too high. Be sure you get to 135 but not over 140 in my experience.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take it to 145F internal temp, and even 150F doesn't dry out. We're usually not patient enough to let it carry-over to 145. One thing to mention, I always have a distinct ham flavor in the outer regions, mainly due to the dry brine overnight.

• AZRedneck
      AZRedneck commented
      Editing a comment
      Mama (and especially the young-uns) don't care for medium cooked meat. I like to hear a squeal when I bite a pig (or moo from a cow) but this is for them. I'll go 140-145ish and call it a day. If they don't like it, I will adjust next time and have plenty of lunch food next week.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here