Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mopp for Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mopp for Pork

Anybody have experience using a mopp (thin basting sauce used while cooking pork - apple juice, vinegar,lemon juice, etc.)? Typically recommended to mopp every 2 hours. Does it really improve end product? Thanks. Jim Burgin

I don't do it because mopping will wash off some of the rub.

Comment

More smoke adherence, less rub, less bark. It's a tradeoff. Since I can get good enough smoke without mopping, I don't want to trade the rub and the bark for extra smoke. If I want a mop type of flavor (which I like... vinegar and rub... good enough), I do it right as I take the ribs off. Produces just the right flavor.

Comment

Depends on what the end result you are looking for...

The Rendevous in Memphis constantly mops their ribs and serves 3000 people per day.

Where as I tend to rub and just spritz with fresh tap water every hour until (if I do) crutch em.

If you do Mop get you a silicon brush you can clean or toss the mop out after each use (cook) for health concerns...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Rendevous also cooks their ribs in a hour over direct heat, so you don't want to just copy their mop strategy without copying the rest of their process.

If you want the effects of a mop, why not spritz with the liquid of your choice. That way, the rub won't rub off.

Comment

I use a sauce called Carolina Treet to mop pork butts. Occasionally use it on ribs, depends on my mood. It is a spicy (not hot) vinegar sauce. And as it cooks on, it creates its own layer of bark. I'm always mentioning this stuff around here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here