Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New solution for what to do with spare rib offcuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New solution for what to do with spare rib offcuts

Last time I smoked ribs I cut the "chef's bonus" pieces off both racks and threw them in the freezer. I then saw this Balinese Pork Satay recipe on Serious Eats. The recipe called for pork shoulder but I figure the spare rib offcuts would be a good substitute. Turned out great! Smoky, savory, and sweet. I stir fried some veggies on my gas grill on some upside down grillgrates after marinating them in some peanut oil, ginger, garlic, and a bit of kosher salt, and ate it as kind of a stir fry, mixing the whole thing with the glaze and dipping sauce. Didn't get a picture of the whole dish but I did get a crappy pic of the skewered pork (well, the last skewer at least).

recipe here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ut-recipe.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tugboat; September 3, 2016, 08:58 PM.

Looks very good to me.

Comment

I've been dying to try that recipe. Great "tip." Thanks!

Comment

• tugboat
        tugboat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It was delicious so I highly recommend it! I was afraid it would taste like peanut butter but that was definitely not the case.

Oh, excellent! I was saving mine, wondering what to do with them (likely tossing them into a soup or something lame). My kids will LOVE this!

Comment

Neato!

Comment

Are we talking about the "flap" of meat on the bone side of the spare ribs?

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            No, this is the thick meaty part that is trimmed off of spare ribs to create St. Louis cut ribs.

Wow, thanks! Sounds delicious!

I bet this could be done with boneless (country style) ribs, cut into chunks, too. I'm going to try it, since I don't have any trimmed spare rib pieces loitering in my freezer.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; September 14, 2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a "No Loitering" sign on my freezer.

Looks good to me! i always wonder what to do with those cuts. They usually end up sitting in the fridge until they go bad. i might have to try this one out. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Looks great! fzxdoc, let us know how it works with the country style ribs.

Comment

These look awesome, and I love satay... one thing I do with those cuts is use them to experiment with various rubs or sauces. Sometimes I have an idea for a rub, but am not sure enough about it to commit to an entire rack of ribs or pork butt. Also, my wife has a tendency to pick up various interesting spice rubs as little gifts, but I'm always leery of using them without being sure what I'm getting. Those trimmings are perfect for test runs.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                Great idea!!!

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              Wow, thanks! Sounds delicious!

I bet this could be done with boneless (country style) ribs, cut into chunks, too. I'm going to try it, since I don't have any trimmed spare rib pieces loitering in my freezer.

Kathryn
              the recipe actually calls for pork butt but I'm sure any fatty pork could easily substitute! I like the idea though. I've been meaning to try country ribs and this may be a good reason to try them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here