Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt on pork butts 🐽🐽🐽

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt on pork butts 🐽🐽🐽

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	214590 Click image for larger version

Views:	114
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	214588 Click image for larger version

Views:	116
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	214589 Found these on sale yesterday - looked to good to pass up! Dry brined overnight, rubbed w MMD, and on the smoker by 8 am - fingers crossed!

Let's see the final pictures also
    enjoy

Comment

• PSULion
      PSULion commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course! 😀

It is a VERY forgiving meat, so even if you run into a problem, you'll have a GREAT dinner!

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Should go quickly from here!

• PSULion
      PSULion commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, @ richinlbrg and @ PBCDad - got to 203 by 700 pm and now in my fake cambro - 😀😀

• PSULion
      PSULion commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay yay for all of your help! Thank you - it came up to 203 and let it rest in cooler for one hour - came out perfectly!! 👍

mmmm...pork...

Comment

Pork butts are my favorite meat to smoke...enjoy the cook! (I love that your market labels them "butts"...my LGS ALWAYS labels them shoulders).

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks - can't wait 😀

My local Smart and Final labels them butts when they're boneless and shoulders when they're bone in. Very odd. Either way, I'm completely addicted to pulled pork and since June, I think there's been only one week where we didn't have it. I love doing it with no crutch, tons of bark... Mmm, my favorite

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        😀😀😀 I think I am soon to become addicted, too !

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        PSULion and GirlpoweredBBQ , I recommend you try chucks with Big Bad Beef Rub before you make that call! Oh, yeah, and try the Tennessee Hollerin Sauce, too!!!

I support you!

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        how is your brisket coming along?

Thanks for asking PSULion !! It's looking gorgeous. I'm so excited. My boyfriend trimmed it really nicely for me. It's a very uniform thickness and seems to be cooking very evenly. He graciously trims them for me because I seem to cut myself every time I pick up a knife. Doh! I have a problem. But I seem to do just fine with fire. So, PSULion....is that for Penn State University Nittany Lion, by any chance?

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        Great! Can't wait to see it! And yes, that would be PSU Nittany Lions WE ARE ...

Awesome. Both my parents are PSU alumi. They both got their physics PhDs there. I was born in Bellefonte. My hometown is State College! ☺

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        No sir!! That's awesome 😀 More later - gotta go wrap my pork butts - yikes, I may be eating at Midnight!

Oh, no! There goes your bark. Ha ha. I may be eating at midnight too. Go Lions!

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        I know - oh well. Next time I will get up earlier and/or do it on a Saturday 😜 Getting a lot of nice help here ... For which I am thankful! Good luck with your brisket !

They take longer than one might expect, right? It's still going to taste amazing, anyway, tho. That's the best thing about pork butt. It's always amazing. Love it. Enjoy your dinner! Brisket is getting closer.... 181.Ler us know how it turns out.

Comment

Those poppers sound great, PSULion !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Views:	112
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	214962 Click image for larger version

Views:	113
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	214963 Click image for larger version

Views:	109
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	214961 Click image for larger version

Views:	116
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	214960 Thanks SO much to everyone here! The butts came out perfectly - did the pulled pork in NE style buttered hot dog rolls -- thanks Especially to richinlbrg for your play by play by play help - it may have been a disaster without your help - thank you!!

Comment

• GirlpoweredBBQ
            GirlpoweredBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Gorgeous.

• SlushDeezey
            SlushDeezey commented
            Editing a comment
            Give that puppy a taste! What a sweet face.

Naw, you had it nailed! Looks GREAT! If it tasted as good as it looks, you have GUUUD eats!

comgratulations!

Comment

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks again - your advice saved the day and we were eating by 8:30 😀

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            PSULion , I wish I had thought to suggest pulling one right off the grill and putting the rest in the faux cambro. That way you could have eaten earlier AND you'd have a side by side comparison with respect to whether the faux cambro was worth the time.

Next time.

Congrats PSULion on a beautiful cook. Quite a success!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here