Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spareribs so long to pass the bend test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spareribs so long to pass the bend test!

hi all,
    I followed Meathead'recipe for spareribs (salted 2 hours before, Memphis rub, ect...).
    Temperature was always between 225°F - 235°F, so I expected to pass the bend test after about 5 hours, but first cracks occurs only after 6h30. We ate them, that was interesting but I think that could be better with at least 30 minutes more! Why so long?
    I noticed, that during about 5 hours, the surface of the meat was dry (mate), then after about 5h45-6h00 meat began to be shiny and "wet", maybe connectives tissues and fat began only at this time to melt ?
    Thanks for your advice

(With a Weber Spirit)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	214224

Views:	84
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	214225

Attached Files
    Last edited by iPa64; August 27, 2016, 03:11 PM.

Did you try to check internal temperature? ... (not easy with ribs ... but possible) ... The fat and collagen won't render until it gets and stays above 190 deg. F for a while.

Comment

Yes I did, but result was different each times I tried!
      Sometimes 190 (never more) sometimes a lot less!

Comment

Man that's a sweet set up you got going on with that gasser! I'm loving that. As for the ribs. All I got is. Do it again. : /

that prob looks wicked close to the meat btw. Not sure if that has anything to do with it at all.

Comment

If you cook them @ 225 C for 6 hrs then they were over cook because that would be 435 F.

Comment

Probe was at about 1.5 inch, I need to find a wider grate.
            Yes I will try again and begin early, expecting about 7 hours to get the graal.
            Thanks

Comment

Good catch DW. I missed that. iPa is your op correct. You cook at 225c not f ?

Comment

Oups sorry, yes I mean 225°F

Comment

They look like St. Louis which routinely take me at least 6 hours @ 225. Anothing less without wrapping usually winds up less than my goal. In the future you probably should plan on a minimum of 6 hours.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep

If you find the ribs cooking slowly and are pressed for time, you can safely take the temp up to at least 275*. PBC users cook in that range all the time.

Comment

I'm usually 7hrs for larger racks. I've had some take 9. The 3-5hrs things is for small small racks.

Comment

Yes maybe it's not the same cut here.
                      Here a picture of the slab before I cut rib tips.
                      Weight is 1.775kg that mean 3.91lbs
                      Lenght 15 inch width 7.9inch

Views:	79
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	214494
                      Last edited by iPa64; August 28, 2016, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here