Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confusing rib labels at Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing rib labels at Costco

Our local Costco carries cryovac ribs, three racks per package. They are labeled something like "pork back loin ribs." I know many of you buy ribs at Costco. Are these actually baby backs?

Yes they are. And they also already have the membranes removed.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Histrix. You recommend them?

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      The ones from my Costco (SF Bay Area) do not have the membranes removed.

Pork loin back ribs are meatier than baby backs

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, they are not. They are two names for the same thing.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, they are not meatier and they are the same thing. Now wasn't that easy?

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      "Depending on how the butcher removes the loin meat that is on the humped side of the bones, some can have up to 1/2" of delicate, lean loin meat on the top. "

I probably shouldn't have made the blanket statement that the ribs sold at every Costco have the membranes removed. There is a lot of regional variability to what is sold in Costco's stores. So there is quite likely some difference between what is sold on the left and right coasts.

The baby back ribs in MANY Costco's DO have the membrane already removed.

I have always liked the baby backs I get from my Costco which are sourced from Smithfield.

Comment

Baby back ribs are sold at Chili's.

Pretty much everything sold in stores are loin/back ribs.

If you find some under 2 pounds then you might have some baby back ribs, adolescent at the very least.

Comment

Also, beware of three packs. The center slab is often badly trimmed with shiners. They hide them that way.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice, Meathead. Costco in Oak Brook. My guess is you are familiar with it. Congratulations on your book's success. You've created a terrific website and a fun virtual community here.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they do

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Learned the hard way last year.

These "pork loin back ribs" are from a 3 pack. They look meatier to Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	4532
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	214188
      Last edited by DWCowles; August 27, 2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        ...and delicious.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow when was this party?? I guess my invite got lost in the mail good looking ribs!!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn, looks good!

Okay, just for clarification. I know the meat buyer that set up the 3 pack, cryovac back ribs deal. Those are packed at the packing plant, not in the local Costco butcher shop. They are spec'ed to have an extra 1/2" of meat compared to a normal cut and to have the membrane removed. IF they are in cryovac and labeled "Swift Premium" you do not have to worry about the membrane, nor do you have to be concerned about the middle slab having shiners. IF you were to get a cryovac that looks like the ones in this picture with membrane on, or shiners in it, let me know. The buyer is a good friend of mine and he wants to know if there are problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7725.JPG
Views:	13497
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	214199

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        Whooops...in my earlier post I said Smithfield. I meant to say Swift is what's in my Costco. Smthfield just happens to be a major local pork producer so their name was stuck in my head.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info! Thanks ecowper been graving some Ribs now I know which ones to look for!!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy to help. These are the ribs that I always buy. Always happy with them. Plus, I know I can go to Rob (my friend) if there is a problem.

Also, the Swift Premium SLC cut spare ribs at Costco are via the same buyer and with similar specifications. IF you buy ribs from Costco that are labeled by the local Costco only, they are done to general Costco specs, but have local variation to them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here