Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crispy pata from a smoked pork butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crispy pata from a smoked pork butt?

I just had a crazy idea... I don't know if anyone here has ever had or made crispy pata. It is a Filipino dish made from a whole pork leg simmered until tender, and then deep fried. One of the great foods of the world! I was just struck by the idea of deep frying a smoked pork butt in a similar fashion. Is that too crazy? One of the concerns is that the pork leg in traditional crispy pata still has the skin on, which would affect the frying, and the ability of the meat to hold together in the fryer. And if I just tried this with a skin-on pork leg, I wouldn't be able to get much smoke and flavor through the skin. I don't have much experience with deep frying, so I don't know what some of the considerations might be, but I though I would put it out there, in case somebody had any thoughts or ideas.

By the way, here is crispy pata:http://www.angsarap.net/2013/02/05/crispy-pata/

I think you could do it with a skin-on pork shoulder, but you wouldn't achieve cracklins texture without the skin. You could score the skin to get rub and smoke flavor in there. I'd eat that!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead said it would work (smoking + deep fry) but the deep fry changes the taste of the smoke

• mayapoppa
      mayapoppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Changes? In a good or bad way? Or is that what I need to find out?

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      It just alters the flavor molecules. I've had smoked then fried chicken wings and in both cases the flavor was very different from smoked wings. One was onderful, the other, not so much. Not sure about the techniques each cook used.

That sounds unbelievable. Oh you gotta do this man!!! And post tons of pictures of everything. I would love to see this.
    I agree with Candy Sue. Score the skin and get that rub down in the creases. The smoke will find its way down there. Smoke it low and slow for more smoke. Start the meat as cold as you can, wet, colder meat attracts more smoke. And maybe go with a little more wood in your smoker. (Unless your using a stick burner to smoke)
    Again, I would love to see this done. How cool. Thank You for posting

PS: I don't know if you've noticed. But nothing around here is crazy, except boiling your ribs.....that is crazy.

Comment

Do chill it down cold before dropping it the deep fryer just like in the instructions. And if you haven't got an outdoor turkey fryer, it'd be a good time to buy one (MCS?). I wouldn't cook this inside! I'd like to come to dinner!

Comment

• mayapoppa
        mayapoppa commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes... I'm thinking this would a good reason for a turkey fryer, although crispy pata is traditionally fried in just a few inches of oil and turned frequently. But this would be a dangerous cook to do indoors...

I'd do this with pork shanks rather than butt. More skin and individual servings... score the skin... not sure if I would rub, because bark with the fried texture seems counter intuitive.

I think you could dry the shank, post smoke, in the freezer, which will minimize the violent reaction when added to the boiling oil. But still, very messy recipe for an enclosed kitchen.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Vinegar factors heavily into Filipino cuisine so that would probably good mayapoppa!

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack typically most dishes are served family style. As you alluded to, ventilation is key. A lot of Filipino households have an indoor kitchen & a "dirty kitchen" -- it's not dirty, but the wording indicates that it's outdoors and is better suited for deep frying and open flames etc.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. I guess my deck is my dirty kitchen.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just telling BBQCentralShow that I don't often see questions about Filipino cuisine and HERE THIS IS!

I bet if you smoked a leg or shoulder for only a few hours to get smoke flavour and then deep fried it it would be really good. I'm thinking like 2 - 3 hours or so with lots of wood. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Comment

I'm going to have to give this a try... but it is going to have to wait until maybe next weekend. I am already committed to a cook this weekend, and it isn't an opportunity to experiment. Any more thoughts are welcome, but I think I am developing a plan... (insert evil laugh)

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Pics, please!!

Do you have any other interesting or exotic Filipino recipes?

Comment

• mayapoppa
          mayapoppa commented
          Editing a comment
          And then, there is Lechon...

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          All classics!

• Porterdriver
          Porterdriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Lechon...food of the gods

Pork adobo didn't make the list as an interesting Pinoy dish. Made it once with pork belly, was fantastic.

Comment

• mayapoppa
          mayapoppa commented
          Editing a comment
          If list was comprehensive, it would be way too long! I love Filipino food... probably more than my wife, who is the Filipino in the family.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Adobo is the national dish of the Philippines, and there are so many ways to make it: with soy or salt, with coconut milk or without, with chiles or without, with different kinds of meats or types of vinegar. Endless great eating!

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          mayapoppa SO TRUE.

While I can say with all sincerity no one on here was deliberately trying to tick people off, I think it would be best when talking about foreign culture recipes, no matter how exotic they are, we stick to those animals that would most likely be consumed here on the U.S. mainland.

*I would include U.S. territories, however, I worked under a guy who spent considerable time in Guam.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          For those who may have seen the comment in question but missed my response, I apologized if my cultural curiosity caused any offense.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I've reviewed the comment and I think it was an honest question with no insult intended... nor should insult have been inferred.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Dave.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here