Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow my cook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow my cook!

Greetings fellow pitmasters!

I have some friends coming over to watch some football tomorrow and I will be smoking up a pork butt for the occasion. I did some prep tonight, took some pictures, and plan to update as the cook progresses tomorrow. I bought a 'picnic pork shoulder' because it was 8.9lbs versus the 'full pork butts' that were a bit smalller. Isnt labeling fun? I will be cooking on my modified for reverse flow COS (a brinkman). I trimmed the fat, tied up the meat, and salted (dry brine). I am following meathead's best pulled pork ever recipe.

The ribs I made based on the 'last meal ribs' recipe got rave reviews; I now have a reputation to protect!

Can't wait to get started in the morning.

Standing by for updates Az_

Comment

Man, get a label maker and relabel those "full" pork butts, I think Tim Whatley has one to re-gift.

Picnics have looooong muscle fibers.....

Comment

az_que when you have a moment check out tip #1 in my tips thread. It will show you how to complete that signature.

Now keep us posted on how that cooks is goin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          I think Tim Whatley has one to re-gift..
          Is that Dentist to the Stars Tim Whatley? I could use a schtickle of fluoride myself.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You do know he only converted to Judaism for the jokes, right? Am I being an anti-dentite bas****?

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Well it is our sense of humor that has sustained us as a people for the last 3,000 years.

Just saw this episode Friday.

Ok we are about five hours in; this is my first pork butt by the way, forgot to mention that.

One piece of advice: buy the thermometers recommended on this site. I bought a cheap digital that had a probe and a cable. It failed after five minutes so I had to make an emergency trip to the store and get a leave in dial style thermo. Not good. You can see the original probe in the first picture.

When my youngest daughter woke up this morning she said, "daddy it smells like dinner." Haha.

I am using apple wood for flavor. Attached are some pics.

I must say it is a beautiful day in the Phoenix area.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Maverick ET-732 will do you proud!

Az, your cook looks great and I am sure it will be a success. Thanks for sharing with us. Any special team you are rooting for today?

Comment

• az_que
            az_que commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the kind words. I am from around the San Antonio, TX area so I, like many others in the city, are awaiting the day that we get our own football team.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a Cowboys fan. And don't get me started on the Texans.

That looks very good.....like very, very, very,.........very good....

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks kind of funny without hooks in it

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeh, I envy those who can just freeze chunks of meat and throw into a cooker without any steel devices inserted.....kinda

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            E. O. S. (ha ha)

Looking good my friend!

Comment

Great job az! I'm squinting though. Next time, show off with some big pics! Check this post out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here