Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental stuffed pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimental stuffed pork chops

What do you think? The was what I came up with in response to a recent FB discussion:

3/4" - 1" think pork chops
    inject with a mixture of apple juice and cinnamon
    stuff with finely chopped pineapple
    rub with a bold, peppery mix like McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
    wrap with bacon strips

Smoke at about 225 like normal until pork is at about 140F internal temp.

Finish with a sear over hot coals until bacon is done. Pork should be at about 145 - 150F at that point which is considered safe even by USDA standards.

Serve with mashed or baked potatoes and spinach.

Anyone want to come over and sample the result next weekend?

MBMorgan EDIT: Corrected internal temps for the pork. Thanks!
    Last edited by boftx; August 21, 2016, 10:57 PM.

Only one question: how will pork get to 240 IT if cooked at 225? Otherwise, sounds awesome ...

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops! Corrected the post with a shoutout.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish I was closer ... would absolutely love to sample the result!

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      I need driving directions!

I'm not much on pineapple in other food products like cake, but it will certainly lend pork a hand.

We had some local supermarket stuffed pork chops growing up that packed about 1,000 calories/chop.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I am tempted to grill the pineapple before chopping. And maybe take advantage of the time to make twice-baked potatoes. Lots of riffs possible with this. Say start with a bacon wrapped pork loin, smoke to 140F on a 2-zone and grill the pineapple, then slice and stuff and finish.

Sounds good to me. Don't forget to take pics

Comment

I've never much understood wrapping smoked pork in more smoked pork. Bacon around a to-be smoked pork chop. Enlighten me, all ye bacon lovers!

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        When I have done this it has been to wrap bacon around the edges (filet mignon style) to help keep the "stuffing" in place, using it as a way to seal up the pocket I had to make.... Last stuffing I used was finely chopped/minced apples, bacon, and sprinkled with some cinnamon.

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate I was thinking the same thing after considering the options. Maybe smoke the loin first for a while (baking potatoes at the same time) then slice and stuff and wrap the edges and finish on the grill. That would also give me time to grill the pineapple first.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        boftx , when i did it they were already sliced chops from the butcher so I had to cut into them and create a pocket (long before ever finding this site). Not sure what to tell you on a whole loin when it comes to stuffing.

Dude, it's bacon. Everything is better with bacon. Nuff said

Comment

Sounds delicious. I like 2 kinds of food...hot and cold.

Comment

I have lots of airline points....

Comment

Not sure why inject when a simple wet brine will function just as well on such a small piece of meat. Works great in 1-2 hours for me on thicker chops.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              I want the flavor profile inside the meat.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here