Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Holding Improve a Pork Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Holding Improve a Pork Butt?

You expose a pork butt to smoke on the smoker for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and continue cooking it until it hits the stall. When it hits the stall, you wrap it in foil and cook it to an internal temperature of 195 - 200 degrees F. Then you take it out of the smoker. Will it improve the flavor and juiciness if you wrap the foil-wrapped butt in a towel and put it in a beer cooler for a couple of hours like for beef brisket?

RAmorris, I have only wrapped a butt once, and that was after I turned the Heat Up and powered through the stall! @200* F I wrapped it in Alum Foil and Kraft Paper and Put it in the Cooler covered with a towel and let it rest for 1 1/2 Hrs! The Temp Loss was negligible and I thought the Pork was Moister than past Cooks when I Pulled It! Pure opinion on my part, but I am going to do it again for a longer period of time! Perhaps 3-4 Hrs.
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I find they pull easier if I let them rest 1-2 hours after the cook. I really don't like pulling as soon as I take off the smoker. Especially those muscles near the blade bone.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Besides, it burns my fingers when it's fresh off the grill. OUCH!!!

All my butts (that's a new daytime show by the way) get 1-3 hours in my faux cambro (cooler heated up with hot water, drained, towels in, butt in, and more towels. I always plan for it and it gives me some wiggle room if the butts are done a bit early or late, so mealtime can stay the same.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        +1^... That's exactly how I do it.👍

I usually don't wrap during the cook, but do in the ice chest. I think it does improve things by making it easier to remove excess fat from between the large pieces of meet when pulling. Also, I believe it pulls better than doing so just off of the Pit! It also makes it possible to serve at the appointed time by holding it until you are ready to serve.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; August 22, 2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here