Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Pork Butt

The local butcher has bone in pork shoulder on sale this week for $1.98/lb. I've always purchased shoulders one at a time a day or two before I smoke them and have never frozen them. It will be a few weeks before I have time for a day long cook. Will pork butt freeze well? How long will it keep frozen? Any thawing technique suggestions?

I'd dry brine before you freeze. If you can vacuum seal it it should last a really long time.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      We are getting just enough rain here in East Texas to wet everything up. The water is high where my parents live. Higher than it was in 2013, but not as high as 1985 when we rode in a boat over all of my dad's rice fields.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I was the first pit cast interview, and no you're not missing anything.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad everyone is ok down there. I'll look for the interview.

I've bought a case of 8 butts a few times at Sam's and froze them immediately. When ready to cook, I put them in the refrigerator and after 2 days trimmed and dry brined, etc. They probably only needed about 1 day in the refrigerator. During the dry brine (2-3 days) they finished thawing. I didn't notice any issues with cooking or taste, though I prefer to cook fresh meat. Some of mine were frozen for around 2 months.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, fuzzydaddy. I like fresh, too, and have only smoked fresh. Just hate to pass up the good price. Great Pit Cast interview.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely agree. I got my cases for $1.29 lb which I could not pass up. Thanks for the kind words.
      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; August 17, 2016, 04:33 AM.

I've done similar to Fuzzydaddy except I typically will thaw for a few days, then dry brine. Regardless, they have always turned out just fine.

i think I have probably had some shoulders frozen for upwards of 4-5 months...no issues.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, PitmasterAg. Different thaw/dry brine techniques suggested here. Looks like I'll have some experimenting to do?

Freeze and thaw when needed regularly

Comment

I also buy pork butts by the case from Sam's club and bring them home and straight to the freezer they go. Had some stay almost an year in the freezer and didn't have no issues with them at all. I couldn't tell no difference in the taste.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Likewise. Nor texture.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest, I agree with you if the Meat is well wrapped or vacuum packed and is kept below freezing there is no problem Storing for a Year or Longer! Somewhere there is a USDA Guide on Frozen Meat Storage?
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I did a butt this spring that was froze from last summer and it was the best one I have done yet although I did do the dry brine for the first time prior to cooking.

Comment

cruiseplanner1 dry brining a butt does wonderful things. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here