Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Louis cut advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Louis cut advice

I'm wondering about the ribs sold at Sam's. I think they're labeled "brisket removed." I've never bought them but I need some for Thursday. Anyone who has gotten them recently, could you tell me what kind of additional trimming they need to get them down to St Louis cut? Thanks.

I've always understood pork rib "brisket" to mean the rib tips, meaning they should already be trimmed to St Louis. The only trimming necessary, if this is the case, is removing the skirt (the flap of meat on the bone side) and just trimming loose bits to square it up. And of course that membrane on the bone side too, which makes the finished product nicer.

Comment

At my local Sam's, that just means the sternum (breastbone) has been removed. It's a full set of "spare ribs" that still has the cartilage tips attached. You can either cook them that way (I do) or cut the cartilage tips off & do them separately. Trim & prep as Huskee described & enjoy!

Comment

• HackingBBQ
        HackingBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I can confirm the same from my Sam's.

Thanks guys! I'll check them out on Wednesday. Often those ribs at Sam's are way too big so I'm hoping that I can find some reasonable ones. I'm just getting kind of tired of doing BBRs all the time. Still like spare ribs the best.

Comment

I always get a full rack of spare ribs & trim them down myself to St. Louis. There is to much other good "stuff" that is there & it is normally cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
          I always get a full rack of spare ribs & trim them down myself to St. Louis. There is to much other good "stuff" that is there & it is normally cheaper.
          That's what I do too. Out of curiosity, what do you do with the tips and stuff you cut off? I haven't cone up with a use yet....

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Q it, of course! Nice for just the cook and the immediate family.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto!

Brisket on pork is the tips.

And cook the tips just like you would anything else. Chop them into bite size snacks. The cook in about 3 hours.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yavolt. I wrote that because they would'nt let me write ditto again.

Or just cook them as a full rack of spare ribs! It's all good! That's what you'll get if you wait in line for them at Aaron Franklin's. Great flavor for a little extra work gnawing around the cartilage pieces... Unless of course, you eat ribs with a knife & fork.

Comment

The tips are my snack while everyone else waits on the rack. But don't tell my family.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Chef's perks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here