Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker I love the fact that I get that ridiculously low Costco price AND there's basically nothing I have to do with the belly other than pull it out of the Cryovac and rinse it.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
      Spinaker I love the fact that I get that ridiculously low Costco price AND there's basically nothing I have to do with the belly other than pull it out of the Cryovac and rinse it.
      Exactly. They are perfect. I cut it into quarters. I cure 3/4 of the slabs. The 1/4 I have left over goes in the smoker right away.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhhhhhh, fresh smoked pork belly sounds stupidly good. I'll do that next time.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah man, you gotta try it. Put some really sweet/salty rub on the surface and let her rip

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking equal parts sugar and salt, plus a little garlic powder ...

Don't forget to use pink salt(Prague). This is used
      for curing the meat.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a fresh meat cook vs a cured product. Pink salt not needed or indicated if cooking fresh poark belly vs. actually "making baocon".

So, took the pork belly out of the cure today. Two big slabs of regular bacon and a small slab of maple syrup bacon. Put them on the WSM at about 240 with hickory chunks. Let the slabs get to an internal temp of 160-165 and then pulled them. Just sampled a few slices .... Not even fried in a pan yet, just sliced off the smoked of pork belly.

Good lord Meathead, you are a food God!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	213966 Click image for larger version

Views:	110
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	213965 Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	213967 Click image for larger version

Views:	106
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	213968
      Last edited by ecowper; August 27, 2016, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        The place where I get my bacon I've seen the guys there eat it freshly cut. Some people would be grossed out, to me that says lots about the quality of the meat they use.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I sliced some off after smoking it and ate it immediately. It was pretty darn good.

Now I've cooked and sampled both the original bacon recipe and the maple bacon recipe. Everybody much prefers the maple bacon recipe. What's interesting is that it is much less sweet than the original/standard recipe. I'm going to tweak the maple bacon recipe with a bit more salt, some garlic and a pepper rub when I smoke it. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8714.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	214692 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8715.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	214693 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8711.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	214691

Comment

Oh my God!! That looks delicious - will SO be trying this someday - thinking of joining Costco😀

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The thing is, it's so easy to do. And the result - incomparable!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        This was so easy to do. Now I just need to tune the recipe.

PSULion ..... You really ought to join Costco ... First, the meat is very high quality. I have never been disappointed by it. Second, the prices are fantastic. Hard to beat $2.79/lb for a full pork belly or prime packer brisket. I have an executive membership, which costs $110/year. However, I get 2% cash back on all purchases. Between the savings on meat, especially, and the cash back I have never not broken even every year. Usually I do better than break even.

Comment

• PSULion
        PSULion commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper thanks -- actually, our upstairs neighbors have a membership, may just give them a shopping list and some cash!! good to know that you guys all think it is great quality

Looks great! I will also be doing Meatheads bacon recipe this Friday after the cure is complete. Thinking about adding the BBBR rub to one of the slabs before I throw it on the smoker.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        That could be interesting. I'm going to be working on a pepper rub to add before I smoke it. Also definitely adjusting the spices in the cure. It affects the bark and salt flavors of the bacon.

I also joined Costco for the meat department. That looks realllllly good. This is going on my to-do list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here