Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs on the Weber tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Meal Ribs on the Weber tomorrow

I will post pics once complete. My setup is going to be the 26.75" weber kettle combined with a Smokenator and BBQ Guru for temp control. I'll be using briquettes in the Smokenator and wood chunks, not sure what flavor yet.....I love apple chunks, but would like to try Cherry or Hickory.

Sounds like an awesome plan PB> Looking forward to your pics.

Comment

Pitboy, we're behind you! Sounds like good eatin' in your future! I personally love apple on ribs, but you really can't go wrong with your choices. You'd be in good shape even mixing them. The trick is to do a few batches trying a new wood each time until you find your favorite. Then spice it up and mix 'em. Cherry will give you a real dark bark, compared to the others. Personally I would skip the hickory and mix apple & cherry, but that's me.

Comment

My personal favorite for pork and chicken with Meatheads Memphis Dust has been about a 5:1 ratio of Apple to Mesquite. There is something about that little bit of mesquite that gives it the finishing touch. I think which rub you use has got to be a factor in the results. Huskee, I've not used cherry. Is it closer to apple than hickory?

This is such a great website.

Comment

I'd say so, yes. Hickory can be kind of strong. Cherry being a fruit wood is a little closer to the mild side like apple, but it tends to darken the skin & bark more than apple.

Comment

Love me some cherry and I really think small family could live in a 26.75

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm the biggest dude on here and I use one as a camper. : )

Sorry for the delay....every time I try to upload the photos I get a message saying their corrupted...sigh...

The ribs turned out amazing. I will continue trying!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salting ribs.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	21428

Slabs have been trimmed, rinsed, dried, and salted. I like placing each slab in ClingWrap as it makes it easy to unwrap and apply the rub. Once salted I wrapped them up and put them in the fridge for 1.5hours

Name:	salted and wrapped.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	21429

Name:	ribs done1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	21430

Name:	ribs done3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	21431 Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs cut_yum.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	21432

Well, this is all I've been able to upload so far. I'm missing the pics of the rub going on and the bbq setup without the ribs on. I'll break down my steps,

1. dry brined ribs for 1.5hours, used about 1/2tsb of salt per side. Slabs weighed 2lb
              2. applied MH dry rub, approximately 1tbsp per side. 3 hours in fridge with rub on
              3. loaded up the Smokenator with 75 briquettes
              4. Lit 4 briquettes in chimney starter and let them ask over, dumped into Smokenator
              5. Closed bottom damper halfway, closed top damper halfway. I did not plug the BBQ Guru fan into the controller at this point. I always let the kettle come up to about 200 before I plug the fan in. it took about 23min for the kettle to reach 200.
              6. Plugged the Guru fan in and monitored the temp. It was at 225 in no time, and then I closed the bottom vent completely, and left the top vent half open.
              7. I cleaned the top grate and hover grate. Added aluminum foil to the charcoal grate (helps with the drippings) and added a drip pan with boiling water to that same grate. I added 2 slabs of ribs to the main grate, and 2 slabs to the hover grate. Added 4oz of Cherry wood, and a second water pan above the Smokenator of the grill.
              8. Added another 4oz of Cherry wood after 30min
              9. After 2hours I rearranged the ribs. The top two moved to the lower grate, and the lower two moved to the top. I also moved the ribs that were closer to the heat to the other side so they were no further away.
              10. After 2hours I checked and the ribs were looking really close to being done.
              11. After another 30min I sauced the ribs with one of my fav BBQ sauces (Forty Creek) If you enjoy Canadian Whiskeys then look them up, you will not be disappointed!
              12. Removed ribs after another 30min and placed in oven at 170. I did this last step because company was running behind and I just wanted to keep them warm.

I started this whole process at 8:00am and was done around 5:00pm. Our guests ranted and raved about the ribs. One of them expressed they were the 2nd best ribs he had ever eaten. When I asked what were the best he had eaten he replied "at a ribfest". So I guess if I can make ribs in the backyard close to how the pro's do it, I should take that as a compliment ;-)

Hopefully I covered the basics here. If you have any questions please ask
              Cheers!

Comment

Great job trimming them, that first pic is a NICE rack, I would be quite pleased to see that sitting on my counter. You did great on this post, we appreciate the contribution! That pan of sliced ribs looks mighty inviting. Just think of how you'll feel when you get the "these beat those ribfest ribs" compliment. It'll happen! I too wrap mine in plastic wrap. If you're interested, here's my post when I did some baby backs earlier this summer.

Comment

• pitboy
                  pitboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Huskee, appreciate the support! I checked out your post, mmmmm love those baby backs great job! That Yoder is awesome as well. One can never have enough smokers/grills.

Awesome job PB!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here