Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs are Dry, Tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs are Dry, Tough

Using Weber Kettle with Smokenator. Have two thermometers and they show temp at grill level holds steady around 225 to 240. Ribs taste great, good flavor. Using Last Ribs Recipe per this site. Do not Crutch. Ribs I buy are Baby Backs. Wondering why they seem tough and dry. Perhaps I am overcooking. I am finding that Ribs at market are very meaty, lots of meat, and wondering if perhaps too much, too thick. I keep water in Smokenator filled at all times. Use clips to keep Kettle lid closed. Looking for ideas and suggestions. Thanks much for this wonderful site!

Dry and tough or undercooked.

Mushy and extremely fall off the bone are overcooked, to some people.

Comment

Dry, tough ribs can actually be due to under-cooking. You've got to get the IT above 190 deg. to render the collagen and connective tissue. Since IT can be difficult (not impossible ... but difficult) to measure in rib meat, you need to ensure that your ribs pass the "bend test" before pulling.

Comment

How long was your cook?

Comment

i sometimes get something called a "loin back" which also sometimes gets called baby back which has a lot of the lean loin meat on it. in that case (i'm asking for opinions here) would it be possible that he overcooked it like someone might overcook a pork chop making it dry? i've had dry loin back ribs and i was certain i overcooked them

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Bingo! The outer layer at least.

You nailed it PhilExeter! Thick meaty back ribs are less desirable since they have lots of loin meat on top (dry). And cooking them long enough to get the interior portions succulent causes the exterior layers to dry out considerably. My advice, when purchasing back ribs, look for the smaller ones ("baby" backs are a popular term for smaller ones). I have personally found BBs in the weight range of 2.5 to 2.75lbs per racks are best for me and my preferences. I have cooked 3.5lb baby backs and was faaaaar less impressed with the finished product. Another thing I'll occasionally do is filet the ribs down to get more of a uniform thickness across the rack (with back ribs).

For all other ribs than really thick baby backs (IMO) Jerod's & Mbmorgan's advice is exactly right. Usually tough ribs are the result of not cooking them enough to soften the fat & collagen.

Comment

SoCalTim, usually 5.5 hours. I use the bend test and the crust cracks and the ribs hang low, but the meat is dry

Comment

Thank you Huskee. I will try to find ribs as you describe and report results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here