Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork For 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork For 100

I don't think I ever posted this last summer when I did it. Thought I'd share now. My neighbor asked me to cook pulled pork for their daughter's graduation party. They expected 100 guests throughout the afternoon. I used two of the pork butt packs from Costco, total of 28 lbs of meat since they come boneless. With sandwich makings and sides, and not everyone would eat since it was an open house style party, that seemed right.

At the time, I didn't have the WSM yet, so this would be done on the Hasty-Bake. As you can see, the HB Gourmet can easily handle 4 large pork butts. I dry brined them 24 hours ahead of the cook. Then time for the rub about 2 hours ahead of the cook. I used Memphis Dust, naturally. The cook took nearly 10 hours .... boneless makes a big difference, I find. I cooked them at a grill temp of 250, which meant over the ten hours the temp fluctuated from 230 to 260, approximately. I used Minion Method for the charcoal, laying in 120 briquettes and putting 40 lit on top. I used all apple wood for the smoke, 4 good sized chunks. At the 6 hour mark I added about 40 briquettes in a reverse Minion Method, which kept me going all the way to the end.

It's the biggest one dish cook I've ever done. Not in PaulstheRibList territory, though. PS pulling four pork butts, even with bear claws, ain't easy.

Some of the guests included Board members from our local country club. They are now talking to me about doing Labor Day BBQ for the club this year. Yikes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5814.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	206612 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5813.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	206613 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5812.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	206614 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5811.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	206615 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5815.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	206616 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5817.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	206617

See - that's what happens when you cook good meat. People. Want. More. Great looking butts ecowper .

Comment

I expected a Jeopardy question... What is 205 degrees?

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        What is time to take them off?

Great looking cook! It sounds like this could turn into a full time job.

Comment

From the title I thought you were going to ask how to go about it.... but obviously you know, BTDT! Nice work.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I do now!

BTW, if there is ever a next time (or any time you make PB for pulled pork) pull each into a 2, 3 or 4 chunks by hand and put them in the bowl of a kitchenaid or similar stand mixer. Use the dough hook or flat beater (hook works the best) and turn it on medium speed. You can pull an entire butt in about 2 minutes or less. Oh, and it looks awesome, by the way!
        Last edited by Dewesq55; August 9, 2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a fantastic idea Dewesq55 .... now to convince my wife to let me use her Kitchenaid.

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't wait to try that!

Dang that's a lot if purddy lookin meat! Great job!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          it was a lot of fun ... I normally cook for more in the 15-20 range.

Nice job just did a 5oth bday party few weeks ago...planned on 60 -70 people...did 34 lbs and was a lil overkill but some were glad to take it home...even gave em some apple butter pig paint 😆

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah, we probably fed an actual 75 people and had no leftovers. I'm gearing up for a very good friend's 50th bday ..... going to do a pork butt, carne asada and chicken for that.

That's some fine looking pulled pork.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks fuzzydaddy .... It was a lot of fun, too

The worst part of any pulled pork cook is the actually pulling part. Absolute killer on the back. I'm working on raising one of my resin tables to help some. Nice cool and congrats!

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          HorseDoctor , most of what I have seen lately is people buying PVC and cutting it to make leg extensions for tables... seems to be working quite well for a lot of folks

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          I always pull mine setting down at the kitchen table. No reason to be standing up and straining the back.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          What you really need is a young, strong and eager apprentice!

Yes!!!! Way to go ecowper!

If you grow your 28 pounds of meat exponentially for a few months....You will definitely need to buy some more cookers!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, with the Hasty-Bake and the WSM I can probably cook 10-12 pork butts at once. That seems like plenty for me.

Nice looking meteorites!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here