Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork steaks, or shoulder blade steaks recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork steaks, or shoulder blade steaks recipes

I grew up I. ST. Louis & live in Toronto. She. I found this site I finally felt vindicated for insisting that the meat should not fall off the bone of a pork ribs & precooking the was.. Well.. Sacrilegious. i learned from this site if the importance of a BBQ Thermometer.
    However, I can't find any info on improving my grilling of pork steaks. If I go off site those for recipes, those folks are just arguing about where pork steaks originated & don't help. Whose got some tips on the best temp to cook a pork steak etc?
    Last edited by Cordeste; August 7, 2016, 02:07 PM.

Every commercial pork steak I've seem was cut from the shoulder (aka "country style ribs"). Great flavor & adequate fat. Just not real "pretty so they're usually inexpensive. Do them like a thin pork chop. Lots of options there. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

Welcome Cordeste! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

• Cordeste
        Cordeste commented
        Editing a comment
        I must apologize, shortly after joining my husband passed away. I've been " off the grid". But, still cooking! I've bought a combo charcoal/propane setup. Still haven't used the propane side, just so happy with the charcoal option.
        I've just tried the Introduce yourself channel, but got lost. Will revisit.

Never gave it much thought, might have to give one a go sometime. If I don't like it, there's always chili to be made...

Comment

Welcome Cordeste

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I like to cook my pork steaks/chops hot (325ish) and indirectly, up to a temp no higher than 145F.

Comment

Okay, we use pork blade steak as well as country style pork ribs a great deal at our house. 250-300 is perfect. It usually takes about 90 minutes cook time for these guys at 300. 250 takes about 2 hours. Assuming you are smoking these things, wrap with foil about halfway through your cook. You may omit wrapping if you are using the pork as part of another recipe, which we do frequently. Tacos, for example work well when the meat is cooked tender, but "dry," as we combine the pulled(or diced) meat with caramelized peppers and onions which will rehydrate the dry outside and make taco nirvana. This method also makes Chili Verde that will more than impress your friends.
            For a stand alone entree, wrapping works well for us. You can also get more into it, and slow cook wrapped, then reverse sear. Sort of like bbq confit, without the fat bath.
            One really good way, also, is to bacon wrap the pork, smoke at 300 till tender and the bacon is crispy. Good stuff.
            Best of luck and cooking from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

I've always just grilled them like a steak, but made sure they were't pink when done.

Comment

Can also season and sous vide at 140°F (actually shoulder can easily take 145°F without drying out) for 1-2 hours then sear at high heat with or without BBQ sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here