Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Candy

I'm thinking about doing some Pig Candy on the Good One Marshall and I had a few questions....

1) Would it be okay if I do this on the grates or should I use a pan instead?

2) Do I season both sides of the bacon at once or rather slather the brown sugar mixture on one side cook for about 25 mins around 300 to 350 degrees then flip slather some mixture on the other side then let it go another 20 to 25 mins until finished?

Thanks in advance to all responses!

Cam

I have never done it, but man this stuff sounds goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      I have never done it, but man this stuff sounds goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!

LOL! I plan on trying it with some nice thick sliced bacon from the meat market and if I like how that works out my next plan is to buy my own pork belly and go through the process of making my own bacon then repeating the Pig Candy recipe again except this time I will share it with others : P

Comment

We use the thinnest bacon we can find. Smoke on the rack and season toward the end of process. Really messy, if you have room for a catch pan it is advised. I have done it in a full cater pan it works just not as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Emery View Post
        We use the thinnest bacon we can find. Smoke on the rack and season toward the end of process. Really messy, if you have room for a catch pan it is advised. I have done it in a full cater pan it works just not as well.

Why thin bacon? Does it burn easily?

Comment

Because the thick bacon is difficult to get crispy done Just so much easier to do thin slices No one complains when you give em pig candy :0)

Comment

I just finish doing a batch of thick bacon on the smoker. 225*F for 2 hrs, followed by 325*F for 20 min. My wife said it was crispy not hard and she really liked it. I used a frog mat to put the bacon on.

Comment

I am sure it was great! Anytime you can work in smaller batches you can pay more attention :0) We use pig candy as a vending menu item. Cooking cases at a time. Multiple temperatures and 2.5 hours just wouldn't be practicle . Because there are other items on the trailer pit.

Comment

• cdnichol
                cdnichol commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice looking pit!!!!

You are absolutely correct Thom. If I was in a commercial setting that was time dependent like you are I would be doing the same thing.

Comment

CD we want to see pictures of the pig candy buddy

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here