Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Spectator: Ribs Done Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine Spectator: Ribs Done Right?

Just got my weekly Wine Spectator tips and tricks email and the food article is on ribs. It gives some good information and even a halfway decent approach for newbie rib grillers. Still, some funny stuff in here ... take a look

There is an old saying that the sweetest meat is next to the bone. That's true for shanks, shoulders and legs, and especially true for ribs. And while you can feast on lamb ribs, veal ribs or beef ribs, there's nothing like pork ribs to satisfy the soul. W

Candy Thermometer? bwhahahahaha!

Comment

I don't like the idea of cooking ribs at 325. I prefer low n slow. But they definitely have some good info in there.

Comment

It's better than the normal "how to cook ribs" article out on the internet, for sure.

Comment

Ahhh. Wine Spectator. The arbiter of everything that is "taste" and the bane of my professional existence. Good article though. Would qualify with one thought. Champagne (the bubbles go with everything, all courses). But try a Prosecco. Less serious, more fun and easier on the wallet when you are entertaining guests.
          A very subjective opinion of course.
          Last edited by l'inferno; August 3, 2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife and I adore a good Prosecco on a summer evening ... so yes, will give that a shot with the next round of back ribs.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            A nice cava works well also. If you like it fun, French, FRV 100 (it's a French pun for the name. eff-are-veh-cent) is light, fruity, and bubbly.

Originally posted by l'inferno View Post
          But try a Prosecco.
          Prosecco is very good ... but give Spanish Cava a try, too. Unlike Prosecco, Cava bubbles result from secondary fermentation in the bottle, typically resulting in finer, longer-lasting bubbly.

Comment

• l'inferno
            l'inferno commented
            Editing a comment
            Couldn't agree more. Great suggestion.
            Perfect description of the bubbles.
            Cover all bases and drink both.

l'inferno are you ITB? What do you do? I concur with matching a bubbly with bbq. As a general rule, to my palate makes sense to stay away from anything oaked.

Comment

ITB?
            Damn you guys kill me with the acronyms.
            So let's see...
            No I am not "In The Bag" (yet)
            No I do not live "Inside The Beltway" (thankfully and especially now)
            Yes I have had pain on outside of my knee (iliotibial band)
            And yes I believe "In The Beginning" there was food on fire.

If you were asking if I am ITA well...
            Yes in that no I do not purchase Wonder Bread
            Yes in that yes I think one should either hesitate or be extremely creative with a red wine cheese sauce on fish
            And yes as in yes many a mailbox around me growing up had surnames requiring only five of the 26 letters in the alphabet.
            Last edited by l'inferno; August 3, 2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Mitrakas
              Mitrakas commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, ITB=In the Business. You know your wine and your comments about Spectator led me to think you may be in the trade.

Originally posted by l'inferno View Post
            ITB?
            Damn you guys kill me with the acronyms.
            So let's see...
            No I am not "in the bag" (yet)
            No I do not live "inside the beltway" (thankfully and especially now)
            Yes I have had pain on outside of my knee
            And yes I believe "In the beginning" there was food on fire.

If you were asking if I am ITA well...
            Yes in that no I do not purchase Wonder Bread
            Yes in that yes I think one should either hesitate or be extremely creative with a red wine cheese sauce on fish
            And yes as in yes many a mailbox around me growing up had surnames requiring only five of the 26 letters in the alphabet.

Comment

Perhaps the 3-2-1 PCC rib method should be considered.

3 hours drinking Prosecco uncovered meat up

2 hours drinking Cava covered meat down

1 hour drinking Champagne uncovered and sauced
              . (both the ribs and chef at that point)

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                there's a method I can get on board with!

All that about bubbly is nice, but I like a good Zin with BBQ. Or. Beaujolais (not the Nouveau everyone brings to Thanksgiving, which is great for folks who aren't that in to wine).

Comment

Now the bubbly with BBQ discussion actually has me thinking about grabbing a nice Cremant de Bordeaux for my next rib cook

Comment

• Mitrakas
                  Mitrakas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting--don't think I've tried a cremant from bordeaux. I take it you like? Have had cremant from alsace and loire but not bordeaux. I imagine they do rose and white in a bordeaux cremant and a rose cremant would be a nice match with a BBQ.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guest exactly right. The first Cremant I ever had was a Bordeaux. Years ago on a date with the lady who became my wife. At the time I ordered it because it was half the price of the champagne and I could actually afford it :-D
                  Last edited by ecowper; August 4, 2016, 12:10 PM.

@mitrakas

Ahhh. Sorry.
                There I go again showing my newbie-ism with the acronyms.
                Yes ITB indeed.
                Importer of Italian wines out of PA.
                We have a real solid value oriented brand Villa Puccini. Predominantly Tuscan with a veneto PG and Prosecco. Not trying to sell anybody here but they are worth a try if you enjoy wine and want to spend less than $20.00.

Comment

My wine tasting group recently did Snake River Kurobuta Pork Collars with modern Hermitage, modern Brunello, and a bottle of La Rata (Cayuse vineyards). Gros sur gros. Magnificent!

Comment

• Edward Hafer
                    Edward Hafer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We went with modern wines (barrique aged, extracted, high alcohol) as those have shown poorly in our blind tastings - for many of our tasters, they get too cloying and kill the palate with done in blind flights. With rich food, however, the monster wines were fantastic!

• Edward Hafer
                    Edward Hafer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pork collar was low and slow, ending in the upper 190s, done on a vintage Webber Bullet smoker. I am thinking of trying the char sui style next.
                    Good food, good wine, good company - pretty hard to beat!

• l'inferno
                    l'inferno commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Char sui sounds like great idea. Thanks for getting back to me.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here