Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berkshire ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    I don't use a glue anymore. I used to use Avocado oil but, now I don't use anything. Sriracha is a good idea though. More from a flavors standpoint than anything.

Leave a comment:

• OneEyedJack
    replied
    Originally posted by timt View Post
    This was totally a fluke one my part (been cooking lots of Thai lately & had extra Sriracha under my nose). I'd love to say this was a plan, but it wasn't; however, I am pretty excited about how it came together.
    Never discount the virtues of serendipity. I'll have to give this a try, too.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Apparently, Berkshire are smaller pigs, with thinner ribs. I had a similar experience back on the fourth. Mine were cut very aggressively, on top of everything, which made them very tasty, but not terribly meaty... JB described them as the beef ribs of pork ribs.

Leave a comment:

• timt
    replied
    at Mitrakas... & anyone else listening. I would encourage you to try Sriracha as the glue, especially if your rub is on the sweeter side. This was totally a fluke one my part (been cooking lots of Thai lately & had extra Sriracha under my nose). I'd love to say this was a plan, but it wasn't; however, I am pretty excited about how it came together. Oh, and so were the people I cooked it for & that is what it is really all about, right?
    Any input on the Berkshire pork & how to treat it vs standard spares?

Leave a comment:

• timt
    replied
    Sorry, fail on my part! Making the ribs for a get-together & when I realized I was 2 hours early on the smoke, all bets were off. No pics were taken & all meat was comsumed... with prejudice!

Leave a comment:

• Mitrakas
    replied
    Sriracha sounds interesting--love it but never thought to use it as a glue for smoked pork. Neat idea.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    pictures?

Leave a comment:

• timt
    started a topic Berkshire ribs

Berkshire ribs

I bought 2 racks of Berkshire ribs for the smoker. First time with Berkshires & an interesting experince. At 225 they were done in under 5 hours! My "normal" spare ribs are closer to 7 hours. Uhhh.... dinner was early. They were amazing, but I was surprised they weren't as meaty as my standards either. Is that Berkshire or just my pig?
    Also, my first attempt at rib tips when I trimmed these for St Louis cut (I usually buy them already cut w/o the tips). They were the star of the show! I got experimental with them & I really think it worked. I usually stick rub w/yellow mustard (I know it does't add flavor, just sticky & cheap). For the tips, I used Sriracha as the glue for Memphis Dust. Worked great!!! The heat was there, but not overwhelming.... Might be my go-to from now on! I feel like the Sriracha really added a flavor component that complemented the pork & the Memphis Dust. Might try it for my next butt.
    Anybody else experiment with their "glue?"

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here