Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freshness problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I watch any fresh meat that comes from the butcher closely. Watch for some obvious slime and strong odor. If a fomite infested it, could be Staph. aureus.

I had some country style ribs developed the slime and odor after 2 days. I trimmed it off, salted for brining, checked the next day, good to go.

The salt used for brining is not enough to inhibit microbial growth. If it stinks now, no telling what it might be by Saturday.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 23, 2014, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Johnson
    started a topic Freshness problem?

Freshness problem?

I just got two 4lb pork butts. I washed, dried, trimmed, and salted them. I just noticed that one of them has a slight odor to it, the other has no odor, it smells fresh... These pork butts were in plastic wrap from the butcher and not a sealed package like I get from the grocery store. These were never frozen. They are now in my fridge in the same pyrex dish with plastic wrap over top.

Right now it is Tuesday late afternoon, how concerned should I be about that smell and is it possible it will go bad before I start cooking 3am Saturday morning? Also, the one with the odor is slightly darker than the other one. I've had luck dry brining 3-4 days with the sealed pork but this is the first time I've done fresh. Its not out of the question to cook that one tomorrow... it was sort of to ensure that I had leftovers after this weekends cook.

Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.
    -Adam

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here