Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

3 stalls and only at 180?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ribber
    Former Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Central Florida

3 stalls and only at 180?

Sunday I did a 3.6 lb bone-in butt in my 22.5" WSM. This is only my third one so far. The oven temp was holding a steady temp of about 235°. It hit a stall at 150° for about 2 hours. It hit another stall at 165°. I let the oven temp go up to 170° to help speed it through and let it slowly drop back to 230ish. The stall was about an hour. Then about 10 1/2 hours into the cook it hit another stall at 185°. It was still there at the 11 hour mark. Errr!

It's now 6 pm and the wife and I are ready to eat. So I go ahead and stick a fork in it. The fork turns easily and it tastes great. I go ahead and take it off and it easily comes off the bone.

Are 3 stalls before it hits 190° normal? Had I been able to stick it out until it hit 203° could I have hit a 4th stall and would the wait, as good as it already was, taken it to a whole nother level of deliciousness? Wish I had the time to find out.

Thanks for any thoughts!
  • Ribber
    Former Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Central Florida

Correction...my 3rd stall was at 180°

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      • Jun 2014
      • East Texas
      • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
        Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
        Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
        Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
        Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
        Weber Smokey Joe Gold
        Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
        Vortex
        Maverick ET-732 White
        Maverick ET-732 Copper
        2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
        Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
        Thermoworks Timestick
        Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
        B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
        B & B Pellets

I have never had an unwrapped butt make it to 203 internal running under 250 degrees. Typically they are plenty done by 195 internal.

Running 280-325 in the Pit Barrel I have gotten them to 203 with minimal stalls.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Club Member
        • Jul 2016
        • Elizabethtown, KY
        • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

I typically have to go up to 280 or so for the last couple of hours to get an internal temp of 203. I don't think it matters much how you get there once the bark has formed, as long as you don't start burning the exterior.

Comment

• RonB
          Club Member
          • Apr 2016
          • Near Richmond VA
          • Weber Performer Deluxe
            SNS
            Pizza insert
            Rotisserie
            Smokenator 1000
            Cookshack Smokette Elite
            2 Thermapens
            Chefalarm
            Dot
            lots of probes.
            CyberQ

If you keep it at a high enough temp long enough, it will be tender, so if it's taking an extra long time, you need to check for tenderness early, (as you did). I've never had anything go through three stalls...

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Lake Charles, LA
            • Started Low-N-Slow BBQ in 2012. Obviously, it's taken hold (in chronological order:
              1.) A pair of Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5's
              2.) #LilTex, a 22" Expensive Offset Smoker (looks like a Yoder Witicha)
              3.) #WhoDat1, a HUGE Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker (cooking chamber 3'x2'x6')
              4.) A Full Size Commercial Dryer/converted to Vertical Smoker.
              5.) Jambo Backyard stickburner (my FAVORITE Pit so far)
              6.) GrillMeister, a huge 24"x48" Adjustable, Charcoal Grill from Pitmaker.com
              7.) 22" Weber Kettle with Slow-N-Sear
              8.) Vault insulated reverse-flow cabinet smoker from Pitmaker
              9.) BarbecueFiretruck...under development
              10.) 26 foot BBQ Vending Trailer equipped with HUGE Myron Mixon 72xc smoker is HERE, Oct 2016!
              11.) Opened www.PaulsRibShackBarbecue.com Food Trailer officially in March 2017
              12.) Austin Smoke Works 500 Gallon Propane Tank Offset Smoker, named "Lucille" as travel pit for PaulsRibShack, Oct 2018.
              12.) Opening Brick & Mortar location at 4800 Nelson Rd, Spring 2019. Had a pair of 1,000 Gallon Austin Smoke Works pits, both in RibShackRed for our new place!

Fabulous Backlit Thermapens, several Maverick Remote Thermometers (don't use any remotes anymore), Thermoworks Smoke, Other Thermoworks toys, Vacuum sealer, lots and lots of equipment...

I'm loving using BBQ to make friends and build connections.
              I have #theRibList where I keep a list of new and old friends and whenever I'm cooking, I make 1 to 20 extra and share the joy.

Need more practice and documentation. Frankly, butts are so forgiving that I haven't monitored it much. Just cook until they are tender.

To be honest, I've been busy/distracted on many of my butt cooks, and some of them were a shade overcooked, meaning way tender and 205+ temp, as to my being busy/distracted. So money muscle slices were a "no" if you let them go that long. However, for pulled pork, it still worked great.

You are reminding me I need to cook some more pork butts and dial in my process!

Happy cooking!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Get your butt to the butts. I am awaiting to see how many I have to cook for Thursday night. They are hoping for 250-ish. Be my biggest butt cook yet.

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Gee, my measly ~40 butts seems so tiny.
          • Ribber
            Former Member
            • Jun 2016
            • Central Florida

It's now a 48 hr leftover. I just had a bite of a piece with the bark. Still delicious. I guess the bottom line is is it cooked to perfection or not? I'm finding out how forgiving and flexible a butt can be. But what about that goal of 203° that MH suggests. Is this something magical?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              If you wrap around the stall taking it to about 203 is probably necessary. It is a temp + time thing. Leaving unwrapped extends the cooking time.
          • Ribber
            Former Member
            • Jun 2016
            • Central Florida

Thanks all for your help. I have a couple of questions still. I will have to wait until after work this afternoon. Have a great day!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              Charter Member
              • Sep 2014
              • Central Iowa

What Jerod Broussard said!!! The end temp is not cast in stone critical. Low and slow "tenderness" is a result of the amount of time above the temp at which collagen starts to melt. That actually begins as low as 135-140, but can take days at that temp (e.g. sous vide) . The "end temp" is just an average of what a cut of meat usually reaches when subjected to "low" bbq cooking temps for enough time. Longer time at a somewhat lower temp still equals tender.

Comment

• ecowper
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Maple Valley, WA
                • Grill = Hasty-Bake Gourmet Dual Finish
                  Smoke = Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"

Thermometer = FireBoard FBX11 with 2 ambient and 6 meat probes
                  Thermometer = Maverick ET732
                  Thermometer = ThermoWorks Chef Alarm
                  Thermapen Mk IV = Light blue
                  Thermapen Classic = Grey
                  PID Controller = Fireboard Drive + Auber 20 CFM Fan

Favorite cook = Tri-Tip for the grill, whole packer brisket for the smoker
                  Favorite wine = a good Bordeaux with steak, a good Syrah with pork, or a nice bottle of Champagne or California sparkling wine
                  Favorite beer = Sam Adams Boston Lager or Shiner Bock
                  Favorite whisky = Lagavulin 16 year old single malt

Best Cookbooks - Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling", Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", Aaron Franklin's "Franklin BBQ"

Eric Cowperthwaite aka ecowper

I never wrap/crutch pork butts to deal with the stall and I never get to 203. I typically take them off at 195'ish and hold in the oven for an hour, in foil, at 175. In my opinion, once you're over 190, the temp is a guideline. It's all about that fork twist or bone wiggle.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use the bone wiggle as well.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A lot of times I'm using Costco's boneless pork butts and have to do a fork twist.
                  Last edited by ecowper; July 29, 2016, 09:48 PM.
              • LA Pork Butt
                Charter Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Grew up in New Orleans, lived in Texas for 20 years, lived in Mandeville, LA for 22 years. I now liv

I rarely wrap the 10 pound butts I cook at 225 and take them to an internal temp of 200 in 12-16 hours.

Comment

• CurlingDog
                  Charter Member
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Port Washington, WI
                  • Traeger Jr Elite, Modern Home Products TJK gasser,Char-Broil 26" Round Charcoal Grill CBRMH-2600/S, Weber Smokey Joe, small portable POS charcoal grill, 13.25" GrillGrates, Thermopen, Maverick ET-732, Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer
                    gorilla gloves, bear paws

STALL RECOVERY.
                  In all upset situations, it is necessary to recover from a stall before applying any other recovery actions. To recover from the stall, angle of attack must be reduced below the stalling angle. Nose-down pitch control must be applied and maintained until the wings are unstalled. Under certain conditions, on airplanes with underwing-mounted engines, it may be necessary to reduce some thrust in order to prevent the angle of attack from continuing to increase. Once unstalled, upset recovery actions may be taken and thrust reapplied as needed.

oops. sorry. Wrong forum.

Comment

• Ribber
                    Ribber commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL! You sound like my brother-in-law...and Dad!

• Jerod Broussard
                    Editing a comment
                • HawkerXP
                  Club Member
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Virginia
                  • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
                    Thermopops
                    Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
                    Slo n Sear
                    Cold beer

Click image for larger version

Name:	092.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	201465

yo Curling Dog! This guy did not recover from said stall.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    Club Member
                    • Jul 2016
                    • Virginia
                    • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
                      Thermopops
                      Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
                      Slo n Sear
                      Cold beer

Click image for larger version

Name:	090.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	201467

yo Curling Dog! This guy did not recover from said stall.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
                      • May 2014
                      • Charlotte, NC
                        • Slow 'N Sear Kamado (SnSK)
                        • Lots of grills that work with Slow 'N Sear
                        • LOTS of digital thermometers (my fav)
                        • LOTS of accessories
                        • Favorite Beer - Fat Tire
                        • Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
                        • Favorite White Wine - Cakebread Chardonnay
                        • Favorite Red Wine - Yes, Please
                        • President/Owner - SnS Grills

My guess is your three stalls were a result of your temp changes. The meat wasn't sweating enough moisture to stall when the pit was in the 270 range, but once you got to a lower temp the "meat sweat" was sufficient to offset the reduced temp and airflow, thus causing a second and even third stall.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                      Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                      See more
                      See less
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                      The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                      The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                      The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                      We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                      Stylish and Affordable
                      Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                      A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Webers™ Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                      GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                      The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                      This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175� to 350�F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                      A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                      FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                      Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                      Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order