Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 stalls and only at 180?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess it's going to take a lot more cooks to get a good feel for the stalls. Also, I noticed in my original post I incorrectly stated that I have a 22.5" WSM. I have an 18.5".

Comment

Normally my cooking curve for pork butts looks like this (green and blue line were two separate butts). This is from the fourth of July where I did four butts on my Lang 60 reverse flow. For this cook things were going ahead of schedule so I backed it down from 275 to 225, but if you ignore that the curve on cooking the meat usually looks the same for me. The primary stall normally begins somewhere between 160-170 and lasts for an indeterminate amount of time. As I collect more data I hope to publish results about the average stall length, but anecdotally I expect it to be pretty variable since every cut of meat is different and it's a very cut dependent thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	porkbutt_curve.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	201661

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I would like to start a cooking graph thread when I finally get a Data Logger from Thermoworks. Just so people can get a visual of approximate times with obvious variations in humidity and what not.

• Ribber
        Ribber commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea.

HackingBBQ, I'm sorry I am so slow acknowledging your post. Thank you for taking the time to help me out! If that's what a Lang 60 can do for you while cooking then I'm sure I'll never have one. Thanks for the info. I think I understand.

BTW, when I saw your post just as I was heading out the door on Saturday to pick up my brisket I showed my wife your post and said "see what I'm getting for my small investment in The Pit!" She was quite impressed!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here