Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second stall?

Hey guys, I'm at the tail-end of cooking my first butt, and I've run into something I haven't seen mentioned in the pit or on the main site... a second stall around 190! Have any of you guys run into this? Do you know what causes it? Any tips (other than wrapping in foil)? Thanks!

Yeah, typically I will get another stall around 183 to 190 internal.

If you have plenty bark wrap it up.

I would guess that it is caused by a secondary flow of moisture making it to the surface to cause some more evaporative cooling.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 17, 2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Yep. Happens. Nothing to worry about. Wrap it or power it up.

Comment

This is another reason why I hate not wrapping. It just takes too long IMO to cook butts unwrapped, especially that last home stretch if/when you get a second stall (unless you plan for it and start 16-18hrs ahead of chow time). By then you're hungry, it smells good and the last thing you wanna do is wait for another stall.

Comment

Ah, thanks guys, glad it's not just me! Ended up pulling it out at 194 internal, not quite as tender as I would have liked, but still the best damn pulled pork I've ever had (admittedly, I have not had a whole lot). The pork, the sauce, and the slaw, all made from recipes in the book, were met with rave reviews! Good first cook!

Comment

The second stall is discussed here in the tan sidebar http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...the_stall.html

Comment

Thanks for posting this question and for the answers. I was in need of a BBQ crisis hotline on Sunday as the shoulders that I expected to take 10-12 took more like 14-15. I was forced to crutch and put in hot oven (300) to get to 203 and give them some to rest whilst getting the rest of the meal together. Glad your cook went well.

Comment

Ugh, Wish I'd read this earlier. Did a butt overnight for my daughters 1st bday party Sat. Put it in the WSM at midnight Friday night, hit the first stall at 5:00am, didn't freak out. Hit another around 11:00am at 178*. Party was at 12:30. Started to freak out a little. Ended up puling and chopping at 12:15, still at 178*. It was delicious, no leftovers. My FIL and his BIL went back for 3rds and 4ths! Also made beans and KC sauce for the first time. All excellently received!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here