Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing Pork Butt in the overn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing Pork Butt in the overn

I need to finish my pork butt in the oven so I can get some ribs on the smoker (BGE). It's around 180 internal now.
    My question is should I put it in uncovered on a pan, or should I wrap it, or should I put i on a meat rack and put some water/AJ under it?

I would wrap it and put a it in a foil pan just in case it leaks.

Comment

I did this once and just placed it on a broiling pan with a little water and covered the whole thing loosely with foil. Turned out fine.

Comment

I double wrap it tightly and put in a pan in case of leaks, too.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Those are exactly the 2 ideas I had. I'm worried if I wrap it, the bark will go soft.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            It will, but you can uncover it later and re-firm it if you wish. I prefer my bark softer, so I do not re-firm it.

Wrapping doesn't kill bark. Properly set bark can't be killed.

Wrapping too EARLY before proper bark has been able to set gives people the illusion that they killed what wasn't really there in the first place.

I have wrapped during the cook, chilled while wrapped, reheated while wrapped, and still have plenty delicious bark to speak of on the end product.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Jerod for correcting that mis-conception!!!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here