Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first overnight cook, not as good as I hoped for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vegasheatbbq View Post

I hear you, but was expecting more of a smoke flavor. My first cook I nailed it but haven't experienced anything that good since

If you want more smoke flavor, you should be sure to watch Dr. Blonder's seminar.

Short version (as I understand it): it's about having cold, wet meat. Meat comes straight from fridge to smoker, then consider adding a water pan to your pit.

Comment

For more smoke flavor exchange charcoal for wood. I've done all wood in my bge just burns up faster than charcoal so you might have to keep adding wood or charcoal. Another thing I have heard for the WSM is putting the meat on before the fire is 100% set.

Comment

vegasheatbbq ... You can get ALL the smoke flavor you want from your Kamado. CeramicChef posted an extremely good thread on that topic here...

Comment

• vegasheatbbq
          vegasheatbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I read that, have a 1 qt coming in the mail already. Waiting for the kick ash basket to get back in stock

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool... Then your smoke flavor problem is solved. You're going to like the KAB too.👍

vegasheatbbq ...

CeramicChef said: "Forget your CyberQ for the time being. It's a crutch you really don't need."

He wrote a thread about how to learn your cooker that is brilliant. There is an exercise in that thread about how to learn the particular setting of YOUR cooker for each temperature... 225/250/275/300/325... Etc. I would strongly suggest you do the exercise and make marks on your bottom vent exactly where those settings are.

There's also valuable information in that thread about airflow and how to make sure your airflow is NEVER restricted during a long low and slow cook, 12 to 18 hours.

I would suggest you retire your temperature controller until you're able to successfully execute a long low and slow cook without it. That thread talks about the critical importance of learning the minor nuances of YOUR particular cooker. That's true for every cooker we all own.

Fortunately when I bought my large BGE 5 years ago I had no clue there was a device that would reliably regulate my cooking temperature at the cooking level perfectly during a 12/18 hour cook. So I was forced to learn my cooker's nuances because I didn't know I had other options.😆 So... All of my overnight cooks I stayed up all night watching my dome temperature gauge.😡

After I was COMPLETELY dialed into controlling my cooker without a temperature controller and had learn to load my firebox properly so as to not restrict my airflow... I discovered this device called a DigiQ Dx2. Very similar to your temperature controller.

Now a days... For loooong low & slow cooks I load my firebox correctly and start a small fire, install my temperature controller, stabilize my cooking temperature and go to bed. I sleep without my monitor on my nightstand because I'm 100% confident that my DigiQ will do its job perfectly.

At the end of the day... Know your cooker intimately before you incorporate gadgets!!!

Comment

• vegasheatbbq
          vegasheatbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do when I get a fresh bag of charcoal. Will post the results. Can't wait for all that hydration

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I do think CC mentioned how important to stay hydrated.👍👍👍

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here