Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin' bacon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More details to come!! See the pics though. Unbelievably delicious!!!!

ecowper Tim e

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks outstanding.

Alright folks! I followed Meathead's recipe to a tee with a few differences and some notes. I cured it for 12 days. I saw a reply on the webpage where someone asked Meathead if it was ok to cure more than 7-10 days. He confirmed it was ok. Plus, my pork belly was really thick, so the extra few days probably wouldn't hurt. Turns out to be true!

I smoked between 225-275 with two chunks of hickory wood, and one chunk of apple wood. I loved the flavor. I don't remember the exact time, but I think it took about 3 hours.

I refrigerated it overnight and covered it with saran wrap (first), then with aluminum foil. (Per the recipe).

A lesson learned was that it was difficult to slice even slices. And it was difficult to get it non-thick-cut. But, even after cooking the bacon slices on the stove, we still loved (perhaps, even preferred) the very-thick-cut.

Towards the end of the belly, it was pretty uneven, so I made the executive decision to make bacon bits. Excellent decision

Tim e @ecowper

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the insight. This is now on my list to do in the next few weeks.

I have three batches going now. One each of all the AR recipes. Can't wait! 7 days to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here