Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High on Memphis Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High on Memphis Dust

One of the greatest things in the morning hours is the smell of pork, Meathead's Memphis Dust, and wood smoke. It's intoxicating. I walk by my cooker and just stop and inhale for a minute. The last time I cooked a pork butt rubbed in Memphis Dust and used apple wood for smoke, my neighbor told me that he was getting high just from the aroma drifting into his yard!

Thank you Meathead for making my backyard a place where people come to get high off the smell of BBQ!

I agree wholeheartedly! I served this up a couple of hours ago and the crowd went wild. This was the first butt I've done with the Weber/SNS and it was fan-friggin'-tastic, if I do say so myself.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn fine looking pork butt. All us Memphis Dust addicts who haven't had a fix in a while are gonna be sniffing around that.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Having only done this with an electric smoker in the past, I had no idea how much better it could be.

So true ecowper. When my Son comes over he says he can smell my smoking butts when he enters our neighborhood.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My other neighbor just moved here from California. He told me this morning that my fireworks and BBQ and chickens have caused him to wonder why on earth he stayed in CA so long in the first place. #winning

If you're lazy about making your own rubs, take a look at some of the McCormack's GrillMates rubs and seasonings. I swear they have been reading the recipes on this site. A couple of them of almost identical to what I do.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      No, jharner, using that is not cheating. That is merely using our own recipes that have been copied by others.

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      I was calling McCormack's cheaters

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Well,yeah they probably are. But we pitmaster types probably prefer to roll our own anyhow.

I'm going on record as saying the Tastefully Simple Everyday Grilling seasoning makes a pretty decent rub for boston butts. Just put it on the night before like you would dry brine. One of the main ingredients is salt, so... you know, just in case you find yourself a little short of MMD.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I will have to give that a try

Did you have to top up the SnS with charcoal or is one batch enough for a slow cook?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopesfall ... I don't have an SnS, so bear that in mind. That said, what I've read here on the Pit indicates that you will get 6-8 hours of cook time out of the SnS. Since pork butt is more like 10-12 hours to cook, you'll have to add more charcoal.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually add a chimney of KBB at about 7 hours for a butt cook and it's easy with the hinged grate. Just have everything ready and you can do it quickly. Not necessary for a rib cook. The added KBB will last longer than the initial fill since the meat is already hot.

• Hopesfall
      Hopesfall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks chaps

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here