Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the good times rolll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the good times rolll

Starting a new cook today!

I've got a 5kg (bone-in) shoulder, I'll be cooking it for twelve hours in the bradley original smoker (borrowed from my butcher, as I only have a small weber). I'll be doing the classic pulled pork along with boston baked beans, frijoles borrachos and a few sauces, namely kc classic, choco chile and grownup mustard.

See my other post in the grill section for my questions about the smoker.
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-putting-pucks
    Last edited by Superskierpat; July 8, 2016, 06:23 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Looks like the makings of quite a feast -- I hope you post follow-up photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Superskierpat View Post
      ...in the bradley original smoker (borrowed from my butcher, as I only have a small weber)...
      You're going to have a great cook and you must have a great butcher that will loan you his smoker! I tried to borrow one from mine at Sam's Club, one of those still in the box, but Sam's stopped me on the way out the door.

Comment

Well I do have a good relationship with the guy, helps a ton when you try and get some peculiar cuts

But I actually tried to rent one from a company, but I coul'dnt find any rental companies in Montreal that carried a smoker...

Comment

Why 12 hours? It would seem to me that you would cook till probe tender - some where close to 200* + or - a few degrees. I'd suggest to start probing around 195*. The bbq saying is "It's done when it's done".

Comment

• Superskierpat
            Superskierpat commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's going to be ok, well see in a few hours, I might boost the temp a bit. As I havent gotten a response in the other thread, should I keep putting in wood pucks during the whole cook or only for the first few hours?

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            you have responses on your 1st post but I'm gonna throw in this. Smoke adheres to 2 things Cold and moist. So once the bark has formed (unless your spritzing) the smoke is not gonna stick. (or of courses if you wrap in foil)

• Superskierpat
            Superskierpat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I decided to leave in what I had put at the start, so it smoked from 7h to 14h, and I'll probably let it cook till 19h.

That's a LOT of mis en plas! Can't see to see the money shot(s)!

Comment

Damnit, I was so overwhelmed at the end of the cook (30 people is a lot to handle!) that I completely forgot to take pictures... Though it was one of the most savory, mouth watering and juicy pulled pork I have ever eaten. (Too bad I only had one sandwich)

The beans were great too, though I ultimately was not a huge fan of the frijoles borrachos. Though I guess that's what you get for being a northerner.

Comment

Felt bad about forgetting to take pictures of the shoulder, but I did make some ribs a week ago, so here's a little something to say I
              m sorry

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, those certainly look great.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here