Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24hr pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am starting to wonder if ambient humidity is a factor. I'm in Vegas, so humidity doesn't really exist. But I did a butt in Houston not too long ago and it took significantly longer than I expected. Not only is Houston humid to begin with, but it was raining that day. I hold temps pretty well so cook temp wasn't an issue til the end when I had to crank up the Houston butt to about 300 - 325 to be sure it would finish in time. (I normally run about 250 in the summer at home, 225 - 250 in the winter.)

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx - When I lived on the Gulf Coast, I never had problems like described above. Not once. I doubt it was the ambient humidity. I cooked in coastal Florida, NOLA, Houston, and College Station. While College Station isn't coastal, its very humid.

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      CeramicChef - Anyway you look at it those times are way off for such a small cut.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx - amen to thar!

Here I thought my 14 hour for two 6.5 lbs was a marathon. I had quite a few times when I struggled at 190-200 degrees. Would trying the meat up tight have that kind of effect? Was the meat extra cold when you started?

Comment

We will have to brain storm on what I'm doing wrong on the next shoulder. I checked both the grill thermometer and meat thermometer via boiling water and both are spot on. I use lump royal oak charcoal. I only opened the lid a few times. once to add charcoal, but the flame boss got the temp back at 240 within 30 min. the temp never dropped below 225 during those 30 mins I origanally said the grill temp was set at 225. That was wrong, the first two shoulders I cooked were set at 225. This cook I ramped the temp up to 240. It still was going to take a long time so towards the end I ramped the temp to 275. This shoulder took 17.5 hours. I really don't think the green egg is leaking much at all. The shoulder turned out ok, it was a little tough. I think next time I'm going to do the prob test instead of shooting for a certain temp. I will let u guys know when I do a shoulder again. Should be in a couple months. Thanks for the help. I've attached a pic of the flame boss graph.

Comment

• ike456
        ike456 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just double checked the graph and it was under 225 for 30 mins When it was getting low on charcoal. The second drop on the graph was when I opened the lid to check on things.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        @ike465 I can't count how many Boston Butts I've cooked on my large Big Green Egg both with and without a controller at 225. Are you sure they are Boston Butts? If so how thick are they?

Howdy,

I'm glad to hear it's not just me!

I've been having some similar time issues with my pork butts. That was actually the topic of my first post here a few months ago:

In the above post it took about 17 hours for a 4.5 pound pork butt, but I had wrapped it at 12 hours, and cranked it up to 300f at the 15 hour mark.

If I don't touch it, it will always take 22-24 hours when the temp is kept at 225f.

I never did figure out why it's happening... I've tried changing the position of the probes, tried different probes, I added additional water pans, amongst other things -- no luck so far.

The only thing I've tried that made a difference, was to smoke at 275f, and wrap it the moment it hits the stall (which is usually around the 5 hour mark for me). Doing those two things, it takes about 12 hours (which is half the time, which is incredible for me).

This may fall into the realm of desperation here, but I was reading the Franklin book, and noticed something in there where they thought a chimney may be necessary for good airflow. They said if you don't have a chimney on your smoker, you could always make one by combining some soup cans. I was going to give that a try and see what happens :-)
      -Eric

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here