Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver skin on ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never had a problem ripping the membrane off. Like it's mention above a butter knife and paper towel is all you need.

Comment

I find inserting a table knife between the bones above the meat and below the membrane gives me a good starting point. Then use a paper towel to get a good grip of the membrane to pull off. On occasion when I can't get the membrane off i'll just slice the membrane at the bone so that rub and sauce can get to the meat. And after the ribs are cooked the membrane shriveled up to nothing. I don't like the membrane. :-) The best scenario is to have the butcher remove it if you have that luxury.

Comment

I buy baby backs by the case for my catering gigs and I have found that while most have a membrane on them, there are a few that don't. I'm thinking that sometimes the membrane gets "accidentally" pulled during the butchering process?

Comment

I used, I don't anymore. Comes off easily after cooking.

Comment

Try a set of catfish skinning pliers. If you can get a loose end worked free, it does the trick. It's actually a similar process to skinning a cat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here