Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Texas Crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Texas Crutch

Hey everyone I bought a pit boss for the 4th and am going to smoke some ribs. I've never done a Texas crutch before and just wanted to see what your recommendations would be. Do you just put some apple juice or other various juices or a concoction of maybe butter, brown sugar and juice? Just wanted to see some opinions on it before hand. I plan on only doing this for about 30-40 minutes. After that I will probably baste with some bbq sauce and finish it off with another maybe 30-40 minutes back on the grill to really work on the bark. Any tips or recommendations are always appreciated, thanks!

My personal recommendation would be to skip it on ribs. If you really want to wrap check out this video.

Comment

Sjmueller - As a general rule, I simply do not crutch anything. I don't like what it does to the bark or the cook in general. The Texas Crutch was originally an invention of competitive cook who are under a time deadline and it was primarily used to speed up cooks. I'm never under a time deadline and I can't stand the idea of dumping a bunch of brown sugar on a cook and making a meat candy bar. But that's just me.

I wish well on your cook and hope you have a happy and safe 4th Holiday!

Comment

No wrap for ribs. Last Meal Ribs recipe is all you need.

Comment

I[m with the others. I recommend you don't crutch ribs. They will be done perfectly in 5-6 hours without it. I think wrapping ribs makes them mushy and steamed-tasting.

Comment

Another vote here for not crutching ribs ... for all the reasons previously stated.

Comment

No crutching for me as well. I so enjoy the cook, I often spend time with my smoker when it clearly doesn't need me to be there. Yeah, I'm weird, but when the aroma starts I'm happy to be around.

Comment

Using butcher paper instead of foil these days
                Last edited by Thom Emery; July 4, 2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
                  GadjetGriller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where do you get your Butcher paper? I want to try using Said butchers paper for wrapping but cant find any? Haven't tried the hobby stores yet they are my last hope (to buy it locally)

I wrap for about an hour just so I can get the drippings and use them to make a sauce. I usually put butter and a bit of molasses and just a touch of maple syrup on the meat when cooking ribs or a pork butt. I'll finish up without the wrap after I have brushed the sauce on to let it set.

That said, there are times when I just let it roll without the wrap and it is just as good.

Comment

If you want fall off the bone ribs (which some people like... not me personally), do a 3-2-1. 3 hours low and slow, 2 hours of crutch, 1 hour of high heat. Good bark, no pull at all. Wife used to prefer that until I got good at getting half moon bite ribs.

Comment

• Fine Swine
                    Fine Swine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Saw Steven Raichlen cook baby backs this way to make his version of the McRib. Tug the bones out and onto a large roll. Something different and i might just try it...

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In Project Smoke, he describes the method in greater detail, then says he feels like he's cheating. And he likes a bit of pull, as do most of the cognoscenti.

If you're only going to wrap for 30 or 40 minutes, I would think you would lose nearly as much ground (temperature wise) while wrapping as you gain in the 30-40 minutes they are wrapped??? Spritz them if you want to add moisture and skip the wrap. If I wrap at all, it's after the cook to wait/hold/rest til eating time.

Comment

Never cooked just one rack. So why not crutch one or 1/2 of your ribs?

Comment

How was cooking on the pit boss? Thinking of grabbing one.

Comment

I recommend doing two racks at the same time. One without the crutch, the other with the crutch and see which one you like the best and go from there. I used to do the crutch then I decided to do some without the crutch and my opinion is the no crutch were a lot better.

Comment

What DWCowles said! I crutch, but I dry crutch or use just a bit of sauce and honey or agave syrup. This makes a good glaze. Apple juice just melts the smoke off and makes the bark soggy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here