Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust

Just wanted to drop a quick note reference the Memphis Dust. I made the dust for the first time tonight, and put it on two slabs of St. Louis ribs. I also salted the ribs two hours prior to putting them on the smoker.

These ribs were next level!

I used a base of natural lump charcoal, and added about 5 chunks of hard wood: 3 hickory, and two cherry. I smoked the ribs for about 5 hours, with the heat between 260 and 220. It usually hovered around 240. I sauced them in the final half hour.

I was very concerned about adding both the ginger and the rosemary, as I was afraid they would overpower the taste. I was doubly concerned because I tasted the Memphis Dust on its own, and I thought the ginger kind of emulated the flavor of the sweetener in a diet soda. And when I had the ribs on the smoker, I could clearly smell the rosemary.

But I will testify that the final product was absolutely incredible. The bark from this rub was competition quality. It was the best bark I've achieved on any ribs I've smoked to this point. (Side note: I do NOT use a pan of water above the coals in the smoker, because in my experience, this significantly decreases the bark. I have also not noted any difference in moisture.)

So all in all, I just wanted to say thanks to Meathead for the dust recipe, and for the website. I've joined the Pitmaster's Club, and it is well worth the money! I've been dabbling into BBQ pretty seriously for the past 6 years or so, and this website is a fantastic resource. I've learned a lot in my first few days here!

Welcome and thanks for the feedback!!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit jt0940. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

Congrats on your cook! Memphis Dust is a beautiful harmony of ingredients! It is all I use on pork butts and ribs and this recipe for chicken is top notch!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit, enjoy the Wikipedia of BBQ. The only thing you forgot was PICTURES we love um

Comment

Welcome jt0940

Comment

Welcome aboard jt0940 and congrats. Pics next time!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! ... and that Memphis Dust is awesome on more than just pork ... like chicken and duck for instance.

Comment

Hi jt0940 , welcome to the Pit! It will be fun for us to learn about some of the methods you use in competition.

You may think you hit it lucky, happening on Meathead's Memphis Dust recipe; you'll think you hit the jackpot when you try more of his recipes (just like I did! ).

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here