Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork

I want to cook some pulled pork this weekend but I could not purchase a pork butt, I talked to the butcher who suggested a pork loin roast and I bought one and it is 4 1/2# and I dry brines it and put on Meathead's Memphis dust and I was wondering what temperature I should cook it to?

Definitely cook it at 225-250. It will need to go low and slow. Just realize it does not have the same amount of fat and connective tissue as the butt does. It's going to cook differently. It will also be drier than a butt. You'll probably want add back in some rendered fat and/or chicken broth after you pull it. My brother-in-law did that with a pork loin roast recently and it turned out pretty good.

Alternatively, you could do a stuffed pork loin. I happen to love that and so does my family.

Smoky, tender, and spectacular looking, this recipe for a smoked stuffed pork loin is a surefire hit at your next cookout. Because pork loin is so lean, it is a great cut for stuffing with something moist. Butterflied, stuffed, and rolled before smoking, this dish has special occasion written all over it.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a big fan of stuffed pork loins. Really helps break up the dense meat and you can stuff with anything that suits your taste.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I love love love stuffed pork loins. I've done them with apples and cranberries, with actual stuffing, all sorts of things. And really easy to do.

Can't get a pork butt from your butcher for the weekend? Where on God's green earth do you live ... Nome, Alaska? I'd seriously consider and new butcher!

ecowper hit the nail on the head for temp. Do you have an injector? That will help with the dryness. I"ve injected a mixture of bacon grease, chicken broth, and rib and that has turned out well.

All the best on this cook!

Comment

Pork loin is generally much leaner and lacking the connective tissue of the shoulder or the ham. Not a working muscle, being the pork equivalent of the ribeye and strip muscle.

I would not take to a temp much higher than the USDA recommendation for pork.

It's great eating, but not a good comp by your butcher.

Comment

Sorry, but not the best choice for pulled pork. It's a pork roast and should be cooked low and slow to whatever temp you like your pork, (chops).
        How to cook meats:
        http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...erse_sear.html

Meathead's temp guide:
        http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ure_guide.html

Comment

Nome Alaska is known for pulled Seal

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            At least that would be a little fattier than a pork loin!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            And you are known for pulled leg.

Argoboy , I love cooking pork loin... it is one of my favorite things to smoke because it is fairly easy and doesn't take too long.

This is not a cut of meat I recommend trying to do pulled pork with. It is better served sliced and on a sandwich or let it stand on its own.

I typically smoke my pork loins whole or cut in two if i'm using a smaller cooker with less cooking surface area. My process is:
          1. I most generally run my cooker around 250-275 (some people go higher with this cut because it is lean and cook it similar to how they would chicken at around 325).
          2. I keep some apple juice in a spray bottle and hit it with a mist periodically.
          3. I usually take mine off the cooker when the internal temp hits between 140-145. It is a rather long piece of meat and depending on how you have it situated in orientation to the fire you may want to probe it in a few spots to check temp before pulling it off the cooker.
          4. Wrap it and let it rest
          5. Do not slice until you are ready to serve as it will start to dry rapidly.
          6. Normal cook time is around 3-3.5 hours for me.

Random things I sometimes do:
          1. inject with apple juice (it is a very lean cut of meat and this arguably helps)
          2. wrap it in a bacon basket weave... or drape bacon over the top
          3. slather it with some horseradish mustard before adding the rub
          4. I typically just use a standard rib rub (even store purchased rub if i'm in a hurry... shhhh don't tell anyone)

Enjoy your cook. It will be delicious.
          Last edited by Nate; June 30, 2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Nate Great tips in your post! I sometimes wrap in bacon...a great option and tastes really good. CeramicChef cooked on the BGE!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3910.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	188302

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3942.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	188303

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean isn't everything better wrapped in bacon.... lol... and you definitely can't beat bacon that was on a grill or smoker.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice weave.

All very good ideas. Sometimes I've smoked pork loin just to have a good cold meat sandwich so don't be afraid of any leftovers. The sky is the limit for leftover cold pork loin. Happy 4th!

Comment

i have a coworker who makes pulled pork out of loins. the thing he does it wrap it as soon as you can and leave it wrapped. i can't testify to his quality because he has never brought it in to work but he likes it so i assume he must be doing something right for this cut of meat. i would likely wrap it at like 145 or when the smoke stops, whichever comes first. you won't get any bark but that might be ok with a piece this lean

as far as temp i would like to clarify in case anyone got confused. you asked what temp to take the pork to, people at the beginning were giving you temp to cook at. do not take your pork to 225. if you're going to pull it take it to 203 (i know this is the temp for shoulder but i am not sure for a lean piece), if you are going to make it like a roast take it to 145.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I misread his question .... Cook it as low/slow as possible. To pull it, definitely 203. And I think wrapping it and using a little apple juice would help a lot. My brother in law just did a loin that way and pulled it, then he added some rendered fat and a little chicken broth into it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here