Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt finished super early!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt finished super early!

I generally start my pork butts around 9 the night before. It will finish early afternoon and I'll toss it in the Faux Cambro. Today, it finished super early, before 6 am. I suspect it's due to the cut. Regardless, should I just lower the temp on my primo, wrap it in foil and keep it warm on the grill? What temperature should i set it to?

That would work or you could put it in your oven. I would set it at 150 and put it in the faux cambro two hours before serving. Thickness determines cook time. My 12-14 hour butts at 225 on my BGE are 4"+ thick. If you are not using a controller, a windy night could speed things up.

Comment

I have held mine for a few hours in faux cambro and/or in an oven set as low as it could go 150-160 to hold it. Not sure on holding it for that long though.... obviously leaving the thing intact and not pulling till closer to serving....

if you crutched it when cooking it or even when you put it in foil to hold it... make sure to try and catch any juices and you can pour them back over it once it is pulled to help fight any drying that might have taken place.

most of my pork butt cook times are in the 9-12 hour range. I usually run around 275 or down to 250 in my cook chamber. Seems to be the sweet spot for my smoker... plus I usually use the crutch on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
        That would work or you could put it in your oven. I would set it at 150 and put it in the faux cambro two hours before serving. Thickness determines cook time. My 12-14 hour butts at 225 on my BGE are 4"+ thick. If you are not using a controller, a windy night could speed things up.
        Why put it in a Faux Cambro if I'm already holding it at a lower temp in the oven or smoker?

I wrapped it thoroughly in tin foil and brought the grill down to 160. I still have 2 hours to hold it, so we will see how it turns out.

I used a water pan right off the bat this time, still learning. Did that speed things up? I would think it would slow things down. Next time I think I would just stay up late and start after midnight. I have a 2 year old, that's late.

Comment

Yes, you can leave it in the oven which is probably a better idea. You didn't comment off whether it was windy over night or how thick it was. In my mind those would be the big factors which could cause large variations in cook time. Occasionally you will find a butt that behaves differently. I would teat this cook as the exception, rather than the rule and follow your previous experience. I had an odd experience this spring. I cooked a 9# butt on my son-in-law's Joe Jr. @ 275 and it finished in 4 1/2 hours. I attributed it to the higher than 225 temp and the smaller air space in the Joe Jr., but it also might have been an unusual butt.

Comment

It was windy for the first few hours as the cold front moved in. I'm using a BBQ guru which was only 1/3 open and temp was very steady.

We tried Costco pork butts this time. It was 8 lbs boneless and when folded over it was 4 to 6 inches thick. I tied it together hoping that it would cook as one large piece. The other butt was the same size and took 4 hours longer. It didn't unfold as much and I wrapped it in twine as well to hold it together.

Comment

It sounds more like an odd butt. I have not done boneless ones in years, but that should not make that much of a difference. I have never had a butt 7" thick. Did you mean wide or thick? Width has little to do with cook time. Thickness is a major factor. 7" thick should have taken longer and not shorter. You are getting close to serving. I am betting you have another success.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here