Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Tenderloin Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Tenderloin Recipe?

I have a Pork Tenderloin I am going to throw on tonight. I am going to do a dry brine on it for a few hours then just season it. Does anyone have any other advice or cooking guidelines? I was just going to go low nd slow indirect with a light smoke like apple. I noticed that there isn't much on the site for these bad boys.

My only advice is to make sure you cook to an internal temperature of ~ 140. I find that pork tenderloin can dry out if you do it much more because it is so lean. In terms of flavor, its tough to beat MH's South Carolina BBQ sauce on pork in general, my favorite for sure: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_sauce.html

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      From MH's page on meat temps

We all strive to create tender, juicy, and flavorful meat, but we also want it safe. Monitoring the internal temperature is the best way to have the best of both worlds. Here's the ultimate guide to understanding proper cooking temperatures and food safety to ensure that your meat is cooked perfectly every time.

Pork steaks and pork roasts. Once upon a time it was easy to get sick from the parasite trichinosis (trick-a-NO-sis) from undercooked pork. Today trichinosis has, for all practical purposes, been eradicated in developed countries. The annual average is now fewer than a dozen cases per year in the US, most associated with eating undercooked wild game such as bear. Trich in pork has disappeared because of improved farming and processing methods as well as public awareness of the importance of proper cooking. Trichinosis is killed at 138°F and the new minimum recommended by USDA is 145°F.

• kirikintha
      kirikintha commented
      Editing a comment
      Here here - the other thing about tenderloin is to watch as it dries out very easily. I pack my tenderloin with a lot of extras to keep it moist, wrap in foil - the whole nine yards!

I do love the Mustard BBQ sauces. I haven't tried this one yet. Thanks for the 140 tip. I'll monitor that closely tonight.

Comment

I do pork loins pretty often and I keep it real simple. I do a dry brine for as long as I can, often 12hrs or more and somewhat on the heavy side of how much salt to use. Then about an hour or so before smoking I put the seasoning on. I hesitate to call it a rub, I just sprinkle whatever I have handy that I think will taste good on it. Usually that's a touch of cinnamon, some kind of hot pepper (cayenne or chipotle), a bit of garlic powder. Rarely a very light sprinkle of sugar.

Then it goes in the COS at about 250 and I take it off at 145 (my wife won't trust anything lower) and it is always very moist, very tender and has a distinct ham flavor and texture in the smoke ring and just below. I would guestimate a 5lb cut takes about 3hrs - 4hrs to cook like that, but that can vary of course.

I've experimented with a glaze based on apple jelly when it hits 135 with reasonable results. (I grew up on pork chops and apple sauce so I try to get apple in my pork cooks somehow.)

It gets served as slices, and the leftover makes great sandwiches on a kaiser roll or hamburger bun the next day. I've also been to a couple of joints in Texas that serve that as a BBQ pork sandwich instead of pulled pork.
      Last edited by boftx; September 17, 2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Papa Bob
        Papa Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        were do you find a 5 lb. Tender loin you really are a old a$$ hole aren't you (wink) I don't know how to put the little winkey sun in the comment part

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        I was referring to a loin, not tenderloin, but it would be pretty similar for me. I might have mis-read the topic of this thread thanks to my old eyes.

Assuming you have a Tenderloin and not a loin one of my favs is rub and bacon wrap and a higher temp smoke till cooked is deadly 145 is safe temp

Comment

Treat it like a tri tip or other tender roast. Take it no higher than 145 (pork), or 140 for 12 minutes I believe is the safety standard. You can leave in unwrapped it will take smoke nicely. Apple will be excellent for it. Your favorite rib rub will be great on it, or a pork roast type of herbal seasoning containing rosemary. I would skip any searing though, the tenderloin won't need it unless you must.

Comment

another vote for no higher than 145 degrees. I rub my boneless pork loins down with mustard and hit em up with some rub wrap them in foil and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Salt and smoke my son, salt and smoke.

Yup the Rub I use has plenty of salt and I am one of those lazy arse pellet burners for smoke. Set it and forget it...lol Use a mixture of oak and pecan.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm the resident Old Man Of The Mountain here (can you say a$$hole? I knew you could.) I use a Char-Griller Pro for a stick burner.

I know I'm a little late but try this next time!

Here is my 2 cents worth, a family favorite even for the health conscious (you know the chicken breast only no thighs crowd you know who you are) you can do this with just a couple or 50( salt over night) than season with pork rub or what ever you use on your butts I use a santa maria style or regular charcoal grill flip until all sides are seared well cooking until 128 to 130 (cool your butt down food police) put in an ice chest make a batch of applesauce BBQ sauce make sure its 140 degrees pour over serve when your ready will stay hot for a couple of hrs. Put a probe with a cord in one and leave the lid closed don't forget to line ice chest with foil and push foil down over tender loins and wala perfect juicy tender loins cooked to perfection every time leftovers make great sandwiches ~~
          Applesauce Barbeque Sauce
          Applesauce gives this sauce a nice texture that coats well on meat. It has a sweet spicy flavor that is excellent on chicken or pork. It may also be canned in sterile containers for later use, or for giving as gifts. Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 30 Minutes. Makes 3.5 cups (28 servings)

1 cup applesauce 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
          ½ cup ketchup 1/2 teaspoon paprika
          2 cups brown sugar ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
          6 tablespoons lemon juice ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
          ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon granulated onion
          Directions
          In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix applesauce, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, and onion powder. Stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and use to baste the meat of your choice.

Papa bobs notes
          Replace the applesauce with raspberry puree, cherry puree mango puree (raspberry and cherry works well) a real good
          dipping sauce for chicken fingers

I got this off the internet and I played with it a bit but the original recipe was from a girl (I believe ) named Cheryl I think

also you can spice it up for the chili heads out there but kids really like this and so do most adults have done for a couple of weddings a big hit

ENJOY

Last edited by Papa Bob; September 20, 2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here