Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pork loin tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pork loin tough

I smoked a pork loin roast yesterday, low and slow, about 250. I used a digital meat thermometer and took it off at about 137 degrees. Flavor was good but meat was tough. Could it be the meat was just tough.

Hi, smoke disciple, you could have had a tough roast, but the loin is a leaner cut of meat, and does not really take to low and slow. I would go around 325-350, on indirect heat with pork loin. Still take it to 137-140 pull temp, but the higher pit temp will get you there more quickly, and usually with a better result.

Oh, and welcome to the Pit!!
    Last edited by Thunder77; June 20, 2016, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• smoke disciple
      smoke disciple commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advise.

Since pork loin is lean I like to cook them hot & fast and take it to 145. Also I dry brine over night.

Comment

Yeah, loins and tenderloins I'm running 350+

Comment

Alternatively you might try barding it to keep it more protected for low. A nice bacon weave might help.

Larding is a fairly dated technique, but I think it would be good for pork loin, given the state of the modern pig.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          This suggestion is an experiment based on older French techniques. It is not tested for smoking.

I have done a bacon weave for a hotter cook, but I haven't tried it for low and slow. It might work! And you're right, the modern pig definitely is not what it used to be.

Comment

It's a loin. It just tough. : (

Comment

325 - 350 for the cook. I inject mine using MH's recipe. --Ed

Comment

I also cook my pork loins in the 325 to 350 range. I've started stuffing my loins and that's how my family prefers them now. Cornbread stuffing is one of our favorites as well as bacon weave wraps occasionally. Lot's of options for pork loins. I use Meathead's article as my guide.

Stuffed
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	183630

Bacon wrapped

Name:	IMG_3908.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	183631

Bacon wrapped & no bacon; both done!

Name:	IMG_3942.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	183632
              Last edited by fuzzydaddy; June 20, 2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                They're sexy and they know it.

I think I know what I'm doing this weekend.

OMG...I'd replace one of my down pillows on my bed with one of those...Absolutely gorgeous!!!
              Last edited by CarlP3; June 21, 2016, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Excellent weave job, fuzzydaddy ! If cooking ever fails you, you have a hidden talent in basket weaving to fall back on!

Comment

Here's the secret to the weave - a youtube video. Very easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PohDTvcEtWY

Comment

Ypu may also try putting a water pan below it and putting the loin on a baking rack

Comment

Anyone ever try wrapping in foil with sauce, sugar, etc... like you would ribs?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here