Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First go at pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First go at pulled pork

Having been a Yankee for most of my life, doing college in a beef BBQ town, I was thirty before I had an actually good pulled pork. Or really met anyone who had had really good pulled pork. And now, 13 years later, making my first one.

Here's some work in process.

Third picture is 3+ hours into the stall.

Looking like you are well on the way. Be patient & you WILL have really good pulled pork! Enjoy!

Comment

As Petty wrote, the waiting is the hardest part.

Comment

You've got some good eating ahead, Potkettleblack. Enjoy!

Kathryn

Comment

OHHH, Yeah!!!

Where in New England?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            In 43 years, 18 years in New York City, 3 years in Austin, 2 years in Connecticut, about five years in Los Angeles, about five in St Louis, two in Alexandria, VA, and 8 in Chicago.

Very few years in SEC country. Ergo: Yankee.

That pork's gonna be awesome ...

Comment

Looks like you are set for a great Fathers Day meal. Congrats

Comment

You're going to have some great pulled pork. That butt is looking really good. Pulled pork is one of my favorites. I especially like eating the bark right after it comes out of the faux cambro, well until my family gathers around and stops me from being a bark hog.

Comment

Yep, that one is looking perfect. Enjoy it!

Comment

Looking fantastic!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	183209

Man, that was a long stall. Was at 159-161 from about 10:30 to about 4 PM. At any rate, the bone wiggled at about 190* and the wife was complaining about hunger, so I pulled it off and did the corn and pulled the pork. I wound up chopping some of it, because the bark was holding some of it together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	183210 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	183211 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork 4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	183212 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled Pork 5.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	183213

Overall, very happy with the result. Very easy on the grill, as it takes very little fussing, just a lot of time. Is it possible that things are taking longer on my gasser than they would in a Weber SNS or WSM type setup? Not sure why that would be, as air is largely the same in terms of heat transference, but open to the possibility.

Comment

That bark. Straight MMD, but man, one of those M's is truly magic.

Next batch, I'm gonna tweak with some picante, though. I like the bark to bite.

Comment

The cooker temp and each individual butt determines the cook time. Wrapping as you enter the stall can cut the stall in half. I plan on 12-14 for a 10# butt @225 and then 2 hours in the faux cambro after it reaches an internal temp of 200.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                          Potkettleblack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This wasn't that big a butt, like 4 lbs or so, and stalled at 160 and seemed to stall at 185. New to this, so the reading made me ready, but still, I'm the guy that presses the button at the corner crossing 100 times, to feel like I'm doing something.

• LA Pork Butt
                          LA Pork Butt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Potkettleblack the thickness of the meat determines cook time,". A 4" 10# butt will takes as long as a 4# 4" butt. Relax, butts are very forgiving. Sometimes there are two stalls.

Potkettleblack, LA Pork Butt, Basically I agree with LA's advice, I have Never Wrapped at the Stall? I have Turned the Heat Way Up to 350*-375* F. As it happens I did a +8# Butt Yesterday, 11 Hrs on the Weber, S 'n S, and DigiQ-2 To reach 201* F, Took it off Foiled it and into the faux Cambro for 1 Hr, should have Been 2-3 Hrs in MHOP! Pics on David Parrish 's Sticky Show us wha you are cooking IV!!!
                        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

My next one, purely for experimentation, is either going to be a 12 hour * 140*F sous vide, followed by shock, MMD, 225-250*F smoke for 2-4 hours for bark. Should be pullable at 12*140, then shocking cold, plus wetting for MMD adherence, should allow smoke adherence, and the temp should force the bark. Likely not the same as this bark, but barky enough.

This after consultation with my SV-pitmasters on FB. My initial idea was to smoke for 3 hours to build a bark, then SV for 12 hours to cook, then back to the grill for bark improvement.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here