Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for 1 8lb pork vrs 4 8lb pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for 1 8lb pork vrs 4 8lb pork

I have cooked a few 8lb pork shoulders in a Weber...approx. 1 hr per lb at 250deg.​ Now in my big Oklahoma Joe I want to cook 4 8lb porks. Still about 8 hrs or will the time increase? That's the question>

thanks for helping!
    Ace

If you have a little space between them, then you will have about the same cook time as cooking one. Difference is that you will have to have a little more fuel burn to get and keep the cooker at the same temp.

Now, if you jam pack a cooker, and you don't have the capacity to add more fuel for your cooking style, then it takes longer. For example, in my WSM 22.5", it does take a little longer to cook 10 racks than to cook one or two. You could compensate by putting a good bit more lit coals in at the beginning, but I typically don't.

On the Jambo, it makes no difference on timing if I cook 1 brisket or 4 because the airflow is great and I'm putting logs on to keep the temp at the target.

Have fun and post pic's!

Comment

Ditto to what dat rib list dude wrote.

Comment

You will probably need to rotate them midway through the cook.

Comment

Thanks for the replays. I got the space and the heat do I'll plan on the same time/more or less!

Comment

Acebuffe - your butts will cook independently IF you leave about 1" or more in between the butts. If the butts are touching, then what you'll get is something that takes a LONG time to cook. If you really want to get these things done quickly, you just cut the butts up into 4ths and leave that 1" between the pieces. This gives you an increase in the amount of surface area for heat transfer and evaporative cooling. Couple this with an increase in temp to something like 275 instead of 225 and you really turbo cook the butts!
            Last edited by CeramicChef; June 16, 2016, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here