Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Style Ribs on new WSCG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Style Ribs on new WSCG.

I purchased boneless pork shoulder country style ribs at the local Costco yesterday. My plan was for the ribs to be my first smoke on the new Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the information I'm finding online for technique. Basically what I'm asking for is how would you do it. Would you recommend smoking at all for this cut and to what temperature?
    Last edited by Chew1229; June 13, 2016, 03:46 AM.

Chew1229 low and slow. They are cut from the shoulder so what you have is pork butt that is cut. I know what you mean about the info overload. Do what you know how to do through AR low n slow. I'm sure some of the great people here will chime in soon. I use Weber Kettles and have cooked a bunch of those "country style" ribs. Some have more fat then others. You can get rub all over those and they come out great. They should be a good learning experience. Got pictures?

Comment

Depends what you want as for as texture. I like mine tender tender tender. So I run 250-275 and get them up to about 200 internal, then I sauce and let the sauce get hot.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I treat them for what they are, sliced up pork butt. You have to watch since some will be LOIN country style ribs. And they will stall. I've tried 190 and some of the fat wasn't where I prefer it. You may like it there, some prefer lower than that.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks JB. New thing to learn from you every day. If you ever need help with a sous vide project, lemme know. I've been doing that forever. I have a great source on canning, pickling and jams, also.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Chew1229 that would be pushing it, I think. They hold great. Potkettleblack I just started sous vide this past year so thanks!!

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
      Chew1229 low and slow. They are cut from the shoulder so what you have is pork butt that is cut. I know what you mean about the info overload. Do what you know how to do through AR low n slow. I'm sure some of the great people here will chime in soon. I use Weber Kettles and have cooked a bunch of those "country style" ribs. Some have more fat then others. You can get rub all over those and they come out great. They should be a good learning experience. Got pictures?
      Thanks for the reply. I have used the AR low n slow, I just wasn't sure if I should use this technique with this cut of meat. I am planning on starting at 1:00 planning on being done around 5:00. I hope my math was right. I will get pictures, thanks again.

Comment

It depends on whether you have country style ribs from the shoulder, or country style ribs from the loin back. From the shoulder you want low and slow, from the loin back you want to grill them like pork chops.

Country style from the shoulder usually have a strange shaped bone in the middle. Country style from the loin have a curved bone on the end.

Comment

• Chew1229
          Chew1229 commented
          Editing a comment
          They are definitely pork shoulder.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          All we get here are the loin ribs. I grill them like chicken, then put them in a pot of sauce to soften for a couple hours, like Italian gravy style.

I grew up eating country ribs from the slow cooker and they are made for low and slow. However, having seen the magic folks put out with the SnS methods. I might suggest starting low and slow and sauce like Jerod Broussard mentioned but sear the sauce on. With a bit sweeter sauce, the carmelization would be tremendous.

This would be similar to how i would cook carnitas. Slow (braise) first then higher heat and crisp up the edges later.

Comment

Here's a video, this is pretty much exactly how I do the loin country styles. It is reassuring to know that mom had her cook totally down in the '60s!

Comment

• billg71
            billg71 commented
            Editing a comment
            A pox on you, @ Mosca! I just wasted 2 hours watching BBQ Pit Boys on YouTube!

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            They're really spot on, on the videos I've watched; I've seen very little that contradicts what we believe is the truth here. They give off that backwoods vibe, but the information is top notch.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks real good. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here