Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first shot at bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first shot at bacon

Yesterday was day 10 of curing so this morning after my coffee and a red bull I dragged myself out to the grill. Today I used Stubbs briquettes (first time) and they worked as the reviews indicated it would. I had to smoke in two batches and once again the SNS came thru. Wrapped and chilled in the freezer and just finished slicing and vacuum sealing. The kid that does my yard got the first taste when they came off the grill and I think we may be trading farm eggs for bacon from here out. Good gracious the stuff is succulent!
    Last edited by martybartram; June 6, 2016, 06:18 AM.

Sweetness. I plan to pick up a pork loin this week and go the Canadian bacon route. Be a while before I can get some pork belly.

Comment

Our power was out when I posted this so I did not do my usual full write up. For those that are interested it is posted: http://www.rhinowrestling.org/index....okin/156-bacon

Comment

That looks really great! Nice work.

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I expected it to taste better than premium store bought but I was really blown away and may never buy bacon again.

• SoonerBQuer
          SoonerBQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some uncut pastured pork on the freezer. I may just have to smoke is this weekend with a couple other items.

Well done! Another "bacon maker" spoiled for life! When the word gets out you'll have LOTS of new "friends"...

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife was actually entertaining questions as we were slicing last night. They were flying in via text messages from her friends. I think I heard her say, "yes, pork belly" a few times as she was replying lol

i should really get a meat slicer...

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine was inexpensive. For thin cuts it really helps to have the meat very chilled or partially frozen with mine. We use it primarily to cut roasts and breasts for sandwich meat.

That looks fantastic! Great job. I really need to try this one day. Was there a cost savings in addition to the superior product?

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Huge! $23.32 for 11.21 pounds of pork belly. $2.08 a pound

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          1lb of store bacon is like $5 a pound, right?

That. looks. amazing.

If I was the kid that does your yard, I would hold onto that job for as long as I could. Benefits of bacon!!

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got him for one more year then he is off to college but the bacon tradition shall continue with his replacement lol

My problem is that it does not last us long and I have to run to the store and buy some all of a sudden like? That looks fantastic! Nice work!
        Last edited by HouseHomey; June 6, 2016, 08:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here