Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork 4 Weeks Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I avoid using my microwave as much as I can. I vacuum seal smaller portion and then throw it in a pot of cold water, turn heat to high, when the water comes to a boil I turn off the stove and let it sit until the meat is hot.
    Last week I had a birrhday and used my slowcooker to reheat. Added some butter and bbq sauce and put on high. When the meat reaches 140F I switch to low and at 160-165F I switch to warm.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Butter is magical.

fuzzydaddy, this week I smoked 45# of pork butts for my Wife's ladies group to sell sandwiches at an event in town. I used your water and butter recipe and Memphis Dust. It turned out great. IMO by far the best I've done with pulled pork. I feel I've never had it come out quite right until now. Thanks for posting it and congrats on becoming a Moderator!!

Comment

I have read that many BBQ chefs vacuum seal their pulled pork, ribs, brisket, etc then freeze them for later use. I have been doing this for over 10 years with high quality vacuum chamber sealers. Recently the Health department told me that freezing vacuum packed cooked meats is dangerous and they do allow caterers to serve any cooked meats previously frozen in vacuum packaging. There is a very large section on the USDA website about this. They say it is dangerous and one must have special permissions to do so commercially. If this is so is it safe for us BBQ'ers to continue to do this. Anyone else have additional info. I love to serve pulled pork by heating the vacuumed bag in hot water.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest - if you get the contents to 160*, there should be no problem.

• Dutchness
      Dutchness commented
      Editing a comment
      Did they explain why it wouldn't be safe?

I don't vacuum seal as often any more as we tend to go thru it too fast anyway. IMHO the trick is to thaw it all the way in the fridge and then to reheat it in the microwave gently. Not all at once on high. Splash a little water on it too on the first time in. That will help keep it from drying out. Sauce goes on for the last round. Perfect every time. Well ok, fresh is perfect, but it's close.

Comment

I'm not a fan of using the microwave especially not if you serve food to customers. I have extremely good experiences with reheating in a waterbath. Everything stays moist, flavors are locked in aND you can make the food real hot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here